Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My S2R1000 2006, that I just got 2 months ago, has swirl marks, deep scratches and haze all over my tank. I couldn't believe it when I stuck my fingernail into the paint, and it sank right down in. This paint is not dry yet. I've got 1600 miles on my bike and the tank will be completely trashed by 2000 miles.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I already know that Ducati is going to give me a very hard time with replacing the tank. Is their any way I can get this paint to dry so I can't dig my fingernail into it? I don't understand why it's so soft. Could it have been something I put on the paint?

All I ever used was Maguires wax and car soap and water, and a little Honda Detail Wax.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'd guess that they had a bad batch of paint, and Ducati may well know about it. Sounds like warranty repaint to me.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an appointment to bring it in this Saturday, they are not close.

What do you guys think they'll say? Do you think they'll say "ahhh, all Ducatis are like this, the paint is just soft" or " ahhhh, you must have used some sort of wax on it that softened up the paint. Do not put ANYTHING on the paint and let it re-dry for a couple weeks" or "ahhhh, that's just how Ducati is, nothing we can do about it".

I'm thinking there going to say something like one of those three. Otherwise, my bike is brand new and they'd have to replace the tank...........not cheap.

The paint was so soft, that my jeans left marks all over the front of the tank just on my way down there on Monday...........I was hoping to get there before they closed but I hit some traffic.

I can see your jeans wearing through the clear coat after thousands of miles and many years, but not with one 45 minute trip.

I'm expecting the worst from them. What do you guys think?

Ah, but here's a thought. I DID put several coats of Maguires Cleaner Wax on my tank when I first got it. Do you think that could have softened up the paint if it weren't 100% cured yet? Perhaps they painted the bike and then shipped it right over and then I bought it right away and then tossed cleaner wax on it before the paint was truly fully dry? I mean, do you guys think that there's a remote possibility with that?

Because, now that I think of it, the paint wasn't that soft when I got it. In the beginning, I rode it a heck of a lot to break it in quick. But the paint was fine. Now that I think of it, the easy scratching of the paint didn't start happening until AFTER I put the cleaner wax on. I washed it all off now with dishwashing soap and water.

But, I'm not detailer so you think this could have done something? Is Cleaner Wax "not good" to use on new paint?

Thanks for hoping to clear this mystery,

Tom

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thumper said:
Ah, but here's a thought. I DID put several coats of Maguires Cleaner Wax on my tank when I first got it. Do you think that could have softened up the paint if it weren't 100% cured yet? Perhaps they painted the bike and then shipped it right over and then I bought it right away and then tossed cleaner wax on it before the paint was truly fully dry? I mean, do you guys think that there's a remote possibility with that?

Because, now that I think of it, the paint wasn't that soft when I got it. In the beginning, I rode it a heck of a lot to break it in quick. But the paint was fine. Now that I think of it, the easy scratching of the paint didn't start happening until AFTER I put the cleaner wax on. I washed it all off now with dishwashing soap and water.

But, I'm not detailer so you think this could have done something? Is Cleaner Wax "not good" to use on new paint?
No. I'm sure the paint was plenty cured by the time you even got the bike. The common advice given of "don't wax for 6 months after paint has been applied" is super conservative. Your wax did not soften the paint. Sounds to me like a bad batch of paint lacking the proper amount of hardener or something.

Don't take "No" for an answer! Go in to the dealership expecting to get your bike fixed and don't leave until they agree!

-Danimal

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay GREAT. Just checking to make sure they don't come back with this. I hope this doesn't turn into a messy problem and they willingly give me a new tank or send mine out to be painted.

Tom

·
Registered
193 Posts
When you put the cleaner wax on did the rag take on the tint of the bike? When ever you apply a wax it shoud go on clean and come off clean. I highly doubt that's what it is though as most all Mcguire's products are clearcoat safe.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good thought. But no, it went on clean and smooth and came off the same way. Didn't even feel any stickiness or anything. I've used that same wax on all my other bikes and never had a problem. I'm just trying to cover every angle to see if there was something that I did wrong in case they come back and say that this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Just get them to replace it, depending on the dealer they may give different amounts of resistance, but just don't give up. No reason not to be a warrenty issue.

Justin

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Up until now, I've never had such a serious warranty issue. So, I tend to be semi submissive at times......ha ha ha.

Wish me luck and I'll let you know what they say after I leave there on Saturday Justin.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sconly,

I usually buy a new motorcycle and truck every year. So, it's fair to say that I'm pretty knowlegeable in how dealers react to warranty issues.

I can almost foresee the future. I see this:

I'll go to the dealership on Saturday and they'll tell me that the paint is plain ol' shiny black and will reveal scratches far far far more than any other paint. Now, I can't argue that. I've had black cars. I also have friends with sparkly blue paint and you can see the swirl marks from an angle. But, from a few feet back, they look shiney as can be. Jet black is not so forgiving. They will use this to my disadvantage, I'm certain. I've played it through a thousand times in my head. They will not simply say "oh yeah, I see swirls, we're going to replace the tank free of charge. There's fresh doughnuts and coffee in the lounge. Have a seat and we'll be done in a flash". In a perfect world, this would be great. But, I'm expecting the worst here. Black is black is black. Yeah, it looks pretty when polished, but very very ugly when dirty and shows every little scratch. They will use this right away. I already know what they are going to say when I go there on Saturday. Sure, I'll go and give it my best fight. But I feel, almost 90%, that nothing will be done. They'll offer to buff it out and that's it. Maybe give me some free cleaning stuff.

But, believe me, I WANT a new tank. Will I get one? We'll see. I'll go down there on Saturday and find out and let you know. I bet there's no free tank in it though :(

Ah, update. I've been emailing with them all week. Among other things, this was the last thing he had to say.

Tom,

I cannot comment without looking at it. The only thing you might think of is that the new bikes have a plastic gas tank that is soft to your nails compared to the metal ones.

Rgds

Rudolf

See? They are building themselves up for a "NO" on tank repair. And you know? They might have a good argument here. One that could certainly be argued in court.

Tom

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Thumper said:
I cannot comment without looking at it. The only thing you might think of is that the new bikes have a plastic gas tank that is soft to your nails compared to the metal ones.
Well you would think that something that is that soft would not be put on a Ducati. Especially a part that will be exposed to the elements and rubbed thousands of times by the human form wrapped in leather. Wait I like that line...hmmmm

It is the excuse that Apple used with ipod and most of all the Nano...ooops sorry customers fault.

It would be the the better interest of companies to use a tougher grade of polymer, paint etc on their finishes so they could avoid complaints, returns and lawsuits totalling millions of losses. The cost difference in raw material is no that much different.

It just makes more sense in the long run. Yes, common sense. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sorry to change my OWN subject, but my iPod is as soft as jello to. I have sheets of clear plastic all over it to protect it. But I've never heard anything about any excuse they've given. Care to elaborate on that?

And yes, I agree. I'm thinking that the paint is a little soft because they are using "vinyl enamel" instead of regular paint. Vinyl paint, from past experience, is softer so it can be flexible to move with the vinyl, like seats and so forth.

I'm going on Saturday guys, no doubt. I even emailed Rudolph and told him so. I know them well. However, I already know what they're going to say. They will be verbally prepared for me when I get there. They're not going to fix a single thing. They'll give me some free polish or buff out the scratches or something. No free tank or paint job here.

Anyone else have a black paint job with a plastic tank that might have similar problems? The 695 guy does. Hearing some more stories will make me feel better.

Tom

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I haven't chimed in here till now, but they are not using "vinyl Enamel". Ducati, like every other manufacturer that builds products that are exposed to the weather use automotive grade urethanes.

You need to face the facts that it is still paint, and that ALL paint can be scratched. That includes powder.

What most people don't realize is that most paint scratches are caused not by the item that comes into contact with the part, but by the dirt that is on the object. It is not surprising a gas station hose scratched paint.

Someone suggested that manufacturers should use a better product. My suggestion is to invent it. I'm sure if you can develop a product that is hard as nails, applies with current equipment, comes in almost unlimited colors, is UV stable, and is priced in line with todays urethanes(which are extremely expensive BTW) that you'll have every manufacturer in the world beating your door down to buy it.

The plus side of all this is that the paint on your tank is extremely workable. It can be polished may times without losing any of it's properties. My suggestion is to buy a tank protector kit from the DML store.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Certainly good points Duc. However, this is simply the softest paint I've ever seen. To have a clean pair of jeans wear a hole in your paint after riding 25 miles (no contact with zipper or any metal, just cotton material) is soft.

However, I seriously doubt that my dealer will do a single thing in this case.

I don't like the tankslapper plastic film that you stick to your tank. I think it makes the bike look like a very expensive beautiful couch that my grandmother decided to wrap with plastic. Kind of takes away from its beauty.

Now, Second Look made very nice color coded tank bras for all my other sport bikes. Perhaps I will check their site and see if they have anything for my Duck.

Thank you,

Tom

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Thumper said:
Certainly good points Duc. However, this is simply the softest paint I've ever seen. To have a clean pair of jeans wear a hole in your paint after riding 25 miles (no contact with zipper or any metal, just cotton material) is soft.

However, I seriously doubt that my dealer will do a single thing in this case.

I don't like the tankslapper plastic film that you stick to your tank. I think it makes the bike look like a very expensive beautiful couch that my grandmother decided to wrap with plastic. Kind of takes away from its beauty.

Now, Second Look made very nice color coded tank bras for all my other sport bikes. Perhaps I will check their site and see if they have anything for my Duck.

Thank you,

Tom
If your jeans actually wore a hole through the paint, I would agree there is an issue of some sort. If you posted that and I missed it, I apologize. I read you were having problems with scratches.

Good luck Tom.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
can we get some pictures of the damage?
it might be worth it to take some anyway, just in case

1 - 20 of 39 Posts