Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my moped I have plastic fairings, and I want to strip them of the paint and repaint them since i've gotten them scratched from a few drops. What would be the best way to remove the paint?

I've heard soaking them in pinesol or brake fluid works, but i'm not sure if it's the best way to do it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also when painting them, I know I spray primer, but do I need a basecoat under the regular paint, or can I spray the regular paint on and then a few coats of clear after that?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Don't strip them at all. Certainly don't use brake fluid.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
youngonenc17 said:
So what should I do? Sand? or just primer over everything and then paint?
How deep are the scratches?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The scratches arn't very deep at all, but I wanted to repaint the whole bike anyways to see if i'm any good, and if it comes out well use it as a resume so to speak to try to get an aprenticeship at a local shop to work on paint.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
....you should sand everything in order for new paint to stick better.
first sanding, then fill the scratches if needed, sand the area, prime everything, fine sand all and then start painting all the layers and more super fine sanding ;D its quite labor intensive process, so have fun
and good luck....

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks man, that's what I needed to hear. I figured since i'm interested in doing this for a living i'd try it out on the ped see how well I do.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
On painting I am no expert, by far. But doesn't one use wet sanding for plastic and fibreglass prep?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
youngonenc17 said:
Googled it already, but got confused with the stuff I was finding, everyone was saying something different.
And that young grasshopper is a truism about any trade. Each person has their own methods, or process if you will.

Each process is laid out to achieve a certain level of speed, quality, and cost. Each is weighted to one of those three. Paint manufacturers develop products to assist in achieving those goals.

If you have specific questions as you go along feel free to pm me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts