Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to paint my bike and wanted to poll you guys (and gals) on your likes/dislikes on paint. Brand and application. I also need the paint spec number for Ducati Red if anyone has it. Thanks.

BTW- This all started with a simple sprocket upgrade, now I just installed the Sil's, chopped the tail and the tank is off...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Starfish,

I am an Authorised "Dupont Perforance Coatings" Distributor.
I can give you some codes for this Brand Only.

From my database there are three Red's available for Ducati.

Rosso Red
New Rosso Red
Red Effect

Rosso Red, DuPont Code G3843, this is available in Clear Over Base process (modified Acrylic with Clear Coat), 2K (two Pack Solid Colour - no Clear), or Acrylic Laquer (Don't Go There).

New Rosso Red, DuPont Code J5711, Clear Over Base Only

Red Effect, DuPont Code J1783, this is a clear over base process, but incorporates Pearl in the base coat & what's called a Tinted Clear over the top.

I haven't had the time to spray out a sample of this, but Pearl Bases with Tinted Clear coats normally produce an excellent finish.

I repainted my tank, Fender & Seat Cowl & opted for the more robust 2K option & Cleared over it anyway. This gives better depth & Shine, with not too much more work. My red actually matched the New Rosso Red & i converted the formula to go with 2K.

Once you have finished the job in 2K ,if you then want to clear, you need to rub the tank down with 1200 - 1500 sandpaper, this is to make the surface completely smooth & free of Orange peel & Dust (if you want a mirror finish that is). Once the tank is completely smooth (& it will appear dull too) & deglossed you can hit it with two to three coats of 2K clear & it will look amazing!

The codes ect gived here may differ in the US, but i suggest you go to a major crash repair shop & discuss with them your options. They can spray out little panels for you to see what each finished product will look like.

Also ask about DuPont "Chromalusion" this is the chameleon sorta paint that has been mentioned here before. i have it on my rear hugger only. But i've seriously been considering doing the whole bike. What an awesome efect it would be.

There are so many options with Paint, paint types & effects, go & talk to an expert in your part of the world & enjoy the whole experience.

Your Imagination is the only boundary!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Any good 2 part uerothane will be good. I've had good results in the past using Dupont Imron paint with Chromaclear clearcoat. White base with Dodge truck "flame red" always matched the Ducati red for me.
nuiginmonster, you must be masochistic - 1200 grit??? I always used 400 wet & got a perfect finish.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Norm,
Imron is a superp coating, 2K Polyurethane, Tuff stuff & still a good Shine. It's factory finish for the likes of Kenworth & other major fleet companies.

1200 -1500 -2000 it might be a bit more elbow grease but all the extra work definately reflects in the finished product!

I would just love to strip my Duc down to the frame & get the imagination going on the way back together, but i just could't bear to be Ducless for that amount of time.

Happy Rubbing.

·
Registered
588 Posts
-Q-/Chuppa,
Haven't got these on the data base, have requested the information from the Sydney colour lab. Will let you know what they come back with.

Might have to go with Howie's PPG code in the mean time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts