Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something has leaked on the gray painted area just above the oil sump on the right side of my bike near the cluch cover and oil spout. I suspect the culprit may be oil because the discoloration is carmel colored, but I've never heard of oil discoloring paint. W-D 40 and mild rubbing compounds don't seem to work in removing the discoloration. I haven't tried any other products because it got late in the evening. Any suggestions on what is causing the discoloration and how to get rid of it?

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Try some acetone. But check for compatability first.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
hmmm pics would be nice, how bout a mild scotchbrite pad, brake cleaner may be too harsh if it has any coating or paint on it at all, if it is metal and what not once its stained its stained best bet would be to stain it some other color, I would like to know how you make out on this

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
You should check your battery is not leaking immediately. Mine was :'( with the same result.

I have cleaned up the head but can not get the stain of the crankcase.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked and no battery leakage. The discoloration doesn't look corrosive in nature. It looks caramel colored.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
"Caramel Colored" - so was mine but on the crankcase there was not the effect of corrosion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.