Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tank...what happened to it? It has been wetsanded. First with 600 grit and a hard pad, to fix the few issues we had at the clearing stage (600 only on the problem spots!), and then jumping to 2000 grit with the softer gray/black pad over everything. This removes all small dust nibs collected during clearing and to remove all "orange peel" (BH..you check'in this?). As soon as I am happy with the wetsanding, the buffing can begin.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more pics..notice the small circled spot? A wet sanded dust 'nib' as I call'em

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, this was like another Saturday session all over again.

Tank is done. Second shot is reflection of ceiling so 14 ft above the tank

Ruben it's yours! Don't wax until early Spring

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Dat's a masterpiece... [clap]

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
godofwar said:
Dat's a masterpiece... [clap]
Thank You godofwar!

AGent47

I am taking the tank home with me. If you want it tonight PM me or something. I think you have my cell???

I know you want it ;)

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
WOW, Cool 8)

A

·
0 Posts
That is a banging tank! :eek:
Nice work Swordsman! I'll get in contact which-cha!

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
damn that looks good! [clap]

A

·
0 Posts
In the end after the 2000 grit wet sanding, how many applications of clearcoat did you add, did peform any dust prevention (i.e. tack cloth or the like), and what was the wait time between coats?

This dark tank I have is next! When the site is up we def have to add these do it yourself links! Chea!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
prince_ruben said:
In the end after the 2000 grit wet sanding, how many applications of clearcoat did you add, did peform any dust prevention (i.e. tack cloth or the like), and what was the wait time between coats?

This dark tank I have is next! When the site is up we def have to add these do it yourself links! Chea!
No clear! This is why there should have been a third day in reality. It was buffed with an air buffer (Electric works too but it must run slow enough. Most at hardware stores are grinders) First with the buffer pad and a fine compound called "Finesse It ll " then with the same compound but a foam pad on the buffer. Then swirl mark remover and the foam pad. Then a hand poilishing pad and a non wax based 'show car' polish.

This is how the orange peel and dust 'nib's (and summer bugs!) get removed.

Attachments

A

·
0 Posts
That is amazing that you didn't add more clear. Way to go Mike! Very educational. Now, to piece together the steps and I'm good!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts