Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Granted, Ive only been riding my new Duc for about 2 months and not all that often because of a busy schedule, but is the wrist pain and cramping normal? Will this get better or completely go away with more time?

I appologise for sounding like such a wus, but I use my hands for work and im a bit concerned. Also prior to the Duc I was primarily a scooter driver and that is all entirely comfortable. Yes the lack of power and torque is what brought me to the Duc (not to mention the Italian style) but at what cost I wonder?

Can some of you with years experience or just perhaps more than me offer some support and or advice. I'd love to keep on riding, but Im totally in pain after just a short trip and I was really hoping to go up the coast from LA to SanFranciso in the spring....

Thanks much

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hang in there. I had the same concerns when I started riding. The more hours that you put in the saddle, the more you "toughen up" and adjust to the new riding position that you're not used to.
Plus, If you're like I was in the beginning, you probably have a death grip on those handlebars. Relax, loosen up the muscles and the more you ride, the better it will get.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Use your knees to grip the bike a little more, drop your elbows if ya keep em high it hurts, and loosen the deathgrip like Zeus says.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same problem here too for the first two months. Just had to loosen up! When I did, the wrist pain went away.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to agree with zeus. I've been riding less than a year and found that my right (throttle) hand ached the more I rode. I realized I was gripping it too tightly -- and I still do, although not as badly as before. Try to remind yourself to relax on the bike, loosen up a little on the grip and press your knees against the tank. In time, it'll feel better.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
regardless a trip of La to San Fransisco is going to hurt. I make that trip in my car all the time and it hurts my a s s sitting in the car.

I Would work my way up to a trip that long if I were you.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
My *ss hurts too when I go to Frisco, gotta quit passing out in the gay bars

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Keep an eye on them wrists... I screwed up mine awful bad. :( I went to a neurologist and they said that it's not carpal or other nerves and likely some kind of muscular-skeletal thing. I do have carpal, too, so they're gonna do an electro conductivity test. I got the carpal tunnel from computers...

Listen to your body.

Good luck,
Chris

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Most of my pain came from the stiff clutch pull. Perhaps that is at least part of the source for you as well. Get an aftermarket Slave to make it easier. Also look into adjustable levers to bring them closer to your hands.

·
Registered
48 Posts
it gets better. when i first started riding to work 50 mi. my hands were not happy. one of my fingers was numb for a week. i was riding about 1 maybe 2 times a week. then i rode almost everyday for a couple of weeks. and all the pains and cramps went away. also i used to have to shake my throttle hand out after 25 mi.(numbness) now i can ride for hours. try to ride alot and i think your body will get used to it. and don't think about it too much while your riding.

good luck
scott

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Like Chris said listen to your body and do what works to ease the little pains before they get bigger. Some pains will just take more riding/conditioning to ease up. Try to figure out which ones you can mitigate yourself.

Things that have helped me: Relax your grip! Don't lock your elbows (this really takes practice on a Monster because the riding position lures you into it). I use all 4 fingers on the clutch because of hand pain if I use less than all 4 (only 2 needed for the front brake). A Throttle Rocker helps relax the grip on the throttle ($10 at most shops). Practice leaning into the wind pressure when at higher speeds to relax the upper body even more.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Starting out, I had to consciously remind myself to relax on the bike, especially the hands and arms. It definitely helps to grip the tank with your legs. Personally, my hip flexors would cramp up quite a bit, but once they got conditioned and in shape, all was well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's known as "arm pump" and it's normal. Your tolerance will build up over time, but I don't think a rider can ever escape it. Just how high the threashold is depends on the individual.
When you feel it just take a break, enjoy a cool one and socialize, then get back on your bad motorcycle and ride!

Pulling over and socializing with other riders is part of the fun!

Recently I was riding 2 up and my partner got "sore ass" before I got tired, so we pulled over at a lil store to unwind. There were tons of H-D's in and out, but out of nowhere a dude on a Ducati 750 sport rolled in, saw us and parked next to my bike.
We spent a 1/2 hour talkin (he had made a 3 state trip that day) and drew the attention of all the H-D's who were now coming over and checking our bikes out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is there a set of handlebars or an extender that can raise the bars to make it more comfortable? If so, will the ride still be acceptable?

Frank

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Not sure if your Monster has standard style bars, but I found also that too much weight seemed to rest on the bars and I wanted a more upright riding position. I had some risers made up at a local machine shop that raised the bars one inch and moved them back 1 inch. I've put about 6000K. on the bike since then and they work for me. I would be glad to email anyone a .pdf of the dimensions.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Try getting some hand grips to strengthen your grip, or do dsome light weight work to strengthen your forearms. Also what most have said, just loosen up a bit and if all that doesn't work, try an aftermarket slave cylinder for your clutch (it will help by allowing an easier pull on the clutch) Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts