Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geezer with new 696 and arthritis.

I get pain in my thumb joints riding the Monster. Any suggestions? Higher bars?

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Solution AT HAND for 696 pain!!!

Geezer with new 696 and arthritis.

I get pain in my thumb joints riding the Monster. Any suggestions? Higher bars?

Thanks
Get the risers from Jese Racing on eBay. You won't believe the pain reduction. For me, (a totally middle-age rider) I would feel wrist pain for two days after just a 30 mile ride before the risers.

Also consider the Ducati touring seat for better treatment at the "other end".:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get the risers from Jese Racing on eBay. You won't believe the pain reduction. For me, (a totally middle-age rider) I would feel wrist pain for two days after just a 30 mile ride before the risers.

Also consider the Ducati touring seat for better treatment at the "other end".:)
Thanks brother...I did get the seat and it is great. The risers is what I was thinking about...I will pick them up. And thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
risers

I just ordered the risers from eBay. I am sure this will work well. I will then have the 696 decked out with higher bars, tank bag, tail bag (if needed) and touring seat.

That should be good for now. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
woohoo; the risers got here quickly. Installed them tonight per the instructions, tested the setup...sweet!

This should help my hand pain somewhat. Now I have the risers, tank bag and the touring seat. I am set now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
woohoo; the risers got here quickly. Installed them tonight per the instructions, tested the setup...sweet!

This should help my hand pain somewhat. Now I have the risers, tank bag and the touring seat. I am set now.

Congrats on your mod! You probably extended your riding range about 4x!!!:)

Duc should have a higher bars option available on these bikes...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents

Riding with the knees well «fitted» on the tank will force your abdominals to work a little more to sustain your body weight and then release a little the pressure on your hand and wrist.

But you've already been aware of that I'm sure...

Enjoy your rides !

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents

Riding with the knees well «fitted» on the tank will force your abdominals to work a little more to sustain your body weight and then release a little the pressure on your hand and wrist.

But you've already been aware of that I'm sure...

Enjoy your rides !
Hey, I already had and still have a "meaningful relationship" with my tank.:) It just wasn't enough. I was wondering if I should have snagged one of those leftover GT 1000s instead!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wondered why a different set of bars for the 696 were not so available. But using the risers is an easy mod because I don't have to mess with the controls at all. I do not have a shop and tools anymore.

Add to that the touring seat and large tank bag and I am pretty comfy. The large tank bag cuts wind and I can sort of lean on it.

Here is a pic..sans new bars.

I also have the DP tail bag.

I ride with just the tank bag now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am curious how the rearward bend in the bars play in hand pain on the monster. I know with the other Ducs i have owned that were equipped with clip ons, there was no pain in the in my thumb or wrist. However it seems that the bend in the monster's bars is really just not comfortable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks, I contacted jese and got a quick reply. The throttle cable is seamingly too short. Guess taller risers will be an issue as well.
I will continue to research.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm going to chime in as another hand-pain guy. I've ridden sport bikes for a very long time, and never had a problem. Switched to the M1100 mid-summer, and now have repetitive stress injury in my left thumb.

My plan of attack to get a local custom bike guy to put a different bend on the stock bars. I'm thinking that a bit more of an angle toward me will take the pressure off my thumb joint, and put it into my palm where it belongs. I won't know if it works until the spring, as the Toronto riding season is pretty much done.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to try the risers next, or perhaps explore some adjustable clip-ons. I'm not a huge fan of the clip-on look on a Monster - the traditional bar looks too nice to replace, IMHO.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm going to chime in as another hand-pain guy. I've ridden sport bikes for a very long time, and never had a problem. Switched to the M1100 mid-summer, and now have repetitive stress injury in my left thumb.

My plan of attack to get a local custom bike guy to put a different bend on the stock bars. I'm thinking that a bit more of an angle toward me will take the pressure off my thumb joint, and put it into my palm where it belongs. I won't know if it works until the spring, as the Toronto riding season is pretty much done.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to try the risers next, or perhaps explore some adjustable clip-ons. I'm not a huge fan of the clip-on look on a Monster - the traditional bar looks too nice to replace, IMHO.
If I may make a suggestion...My last time home, I put 500 miles on my S4RS. Prior to flying back here, my left thumb locked, couldn't even bend it without mind killing pain. One thing I noticed that if I just laid my hand on the bars resulted in less pain. In other words my hands were laying out in a more natural position. You may ride the bike over to where you will have the bars bent and have them adjust the new bend to what works on your hands. If that makes any sense.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
If I may make a suggestion...My last time home, I put 500 miles on my S4RS. Prior to flying back here, my left thumb locked, couldn't even bend it without mind killing pain. One thing I noticed that if I just laid my hand on the bars resulted in less pain. In other words my hands were laying out in a more natural position. You may ride the bike over to where you will have the bars bent and have them adjust the new bend to what works on your hands. If that makes any sense.....
I hear what you're saying. My left hand seems to fare better as I'm able to relax it and just rest it on the grip. My right hand always has a little tension on it, and when I hit the front brake my hand is in the perfect position to put pressure on that joint.

As for getting the bend in the bars right, I think that'll be a challenge. I was thinking about hunting down a ZX9R and measuring the angles, since I know that they worked for me for a long time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Help

Clarification please / thanks

So there's no way to go with either taller bars/bend or taller clamp without throttle cable length issues???

This can't be true

09 1100

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everybody,
i bought new rizoma clutch/brake levers and some other bits from pj's and are beeing shipped to australia can anybody help me with the do's and don't on how to replace the levers beeing a tradesman i'am not to bad with my hands and would like to replace them myself
regards Fatz!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts