Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Anyone have experience a 1200/1200s in NYC?
cant test ride right now and all the answers I get about owning a bike that powerful in the city is always the same - “ won’t be able to use its full potential,” or, “ waste of money if you live in the city.” I know that city riding has its limits. I get out of the city often so I’ll have more than enough chances to open her up.
I’m more curious about how cumbersome it it will actually be to ride in stop and go traffic and all the limitations a city street has (tho I do lane split a lot, as does every other rider in NYC).

Would love any input!

currently have a 696 that’s amazing but I’m gifting it to my brother as a birthday present.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought a 2014 1200s. I live in Australia, so lane splitting is legal. I also have suffered an injury in my right shoulder (main reason for purchase, as moving from an 848) and can attest ability to manoeuvre in the city with ease. Too much "Power"? Honestly- Yes, but it can easily be said a Monster 821 has too much "Power". Even when I ride in "Urban" mode, the Torque still remains the same as "Touring". I mostly bought it as it offered so much more for the increase in price over the equivalent 821 like Dashboard, M50 Brembos, Ohlins, Single Sided Swingarm etc. and just feels like a quality Bike. The main issue I think you will face in NYC will be heat off the engine in stop-go traffic in summer months. You'll appreciate the torque over the high end revs when passing cars, changing lanes etc. So not a complete waste.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Not in NYC either, but we have plenty of traffic in L.A.
You can get through traffic, especially lane splitting. Plenty of get up and go.
The issue is heat from the exhaust pipe tries to roast my right thigh. Especially at a stop.
Wearing leathers this is not a big deal, wearing mesh gear for summer it is much more noticeable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a ‘17 1200s. It’s not cut out for stop and go traffic or slow speeds. Realistically, it’s not happy until you hit interstate speed, even in the ”urban” mode setting. You can ride it in NYC, but their would be better choices.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a ‘17 1200s. It’s not cut out for stop and go traffic or slow speeds. Realistically, it’s not happy until you hit interstate speed, even in the ”urban” mode setting. You can ride it in NYC, but their would be better choices.
Would you say the issue is with the throttle and clutch at low speeds? my 696 was a little lurchy at low speeds at had to constantly feather the clutch, but i became accustomed to it and didnt bother me at all when I got used to it. Thats the only bike ive truly spent time with so unfortunately I dont have much to compare the 1200s with.

·
Registered
365 Posts
my 696 was a little lurchy at low speeds at had to constantly feather the clutch, but i became accustomed to it and didnt bother me at all when I got used to it.
Sounds like my 1200. Stop and go sucks, and so does going 15 or less in 1st gear.
The bike does not want to go slow, but it can. Once you break free of traffic the dance begins. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Would you say the issue is with the throttle and clutch at low speeds? my 696 was a little lurchy at low speeds at had to constantly feather the clutch, but i became accustomed to it and didnt bother me at all when I got used to it. Thats the only bike ive truly spent time with so unfortunately I dont have much to compare the 1200s with.
Yes, I would describe it as lurchy. It‘s just not made for slow speeds. I live on an island and everything is 35 mph and slower, except for one short 45 mph stretch. I can zip around the island on the Duc, but it‘s definitely happier as soon as I hit the causeway and open it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts