Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, I have seen a thread on this before but no resolution. I just filled my tank up and noticed a lot of fuel in the overflow ring at the top of the tank. No, I did not overflow the tank and as far as a I could tell the gas station hose did not put the fuel there. It sort of looked like the fuel backed up into the overflow area through the overflow drain! Anyway, I drove away, with the fuel cap closed and clicked, and ended up with a lap full of gas! (doh) . When I got back to work , I opened the tank cap to find even more fuel in the overflow ring and no fuel going down the overflow exit hole. Okay, so I checked for a crimp in the over flow line (yes its desmogged) and, after twittleing a bit, fuel started pouring out of the overflow tube. Much more then was in the overflow ring! (dah!). What the heck! I felt around under the cap to see if the two internal hoses were connected to the overlfow ring and cap breather and they seem to be fine. I suppose I'm going to have to tear open the tank to see if one of the hoses is damaged or if it has come un connected from the internal steel routing lines. (I suppose if one of the internal steel routing lines is hosed I'm in for an expensive tank replacement....) Anybody have any other ideas?

Borg Girl (covered in 89 octane)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mystery solved (but not fixed)

Well, I yanked on the two hoses connected to the gas cap hardware and discoverd that the overflow hose had a split in it where it connected to the internal tank line. Now I just have to tear the gas cap assembly apart to cut off the split section and re-attach. Looks kinda funcky with the internal hose clamp that could easily get away from (inside the tank!)

Anyone work inside the tank before?

Borg Girl

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Borg-girl...

I'd say... get a hose connecter... cut the split part off the hose and put the connected b/t the 2 ends

Daffe

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's been my experience that if a hose starts to split anywhere, it's usually best to replace the entire hose. Otherwise, it's going to split again, and soon, probably at an inconvenient time.

M.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts