Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i changed my oils for the 3rd time yesterday and although i did drain the oil enough, changed the oil filter too, i then added 3 litres of castrol. I started up the engine and let it warm up for about 20 min.

I checked the oil level and wwwoooo it's above the max level. I say what the [email protected] It always wanted 3 litres exactly (even the manual says that it should hold 3,1 litres with the oil filter)

Should i remove the excess of oil or am i ok to leave it like that.

???

I still can't figure how this happened....same oil every time, same viscosity...

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Don't you need to check the oil level when cold?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked that too. Also above the max level/line

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
you should remove the excess oil, as too much oil equals an unhappy, worse-running bike.

i've pulled that same stunt, myself... if you have to, just crack the drain plug. if you can get something to do it, it's probably easier to suction some of it out from the fill hole.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
+1
Luckily my bike is leaking oil so it is draining out by itself slowly.
Piss me off, I am only at 599 miles and had it scheduled for 1st 600 mile service tomorrow. The bike started leaking oil last weekend. I will probably just have it trucked in to dealer tomorrow because I don't want to risk falling on the oil leaking out.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Orfeas said:
So i changed my oils for the 3rd time yesterday and although i did drain the oil enough, changed the oil filter too, i then added 3 litres of castrol. I started up the engine and let it warm up for about 20 min.

I checked the oil level and wwwoooo it's above the max level. I say what the [email protected] It always wanted 3 litres exactly (even the manual says that it should hold 3,1 litres with the oil filter)

Should i remove the excess of oil or am i ok to leave it like that.

???

I still can't figure how this happened....same oil every time, same viscosity...
Don't suppose this could be related to being on the sidestand?

I'm told that being overfull can cause the motor to blow gaskets as well.

·
Banned
33 Posts
I thought my brother's Ninja was low on oil, turns out it has to be on its stand to properly check the oil. I over filled it by three quarts. Crazy.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
howie said:
Overfilled can cause higher crankcase pressure which can cause weaker parts like gaskets and seals to leak.
+1 to Howie.
Can't remember where I learned this: The bike should be warmed up, then allow enough time for the oil to drain fully back into the crankcase. Stand the bike up level and check the oil. This is how I've always done it and so far so good after 36 years of biking.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Keep in mind that a lot of overfilling can be avoided by not trying to maintain the level exactly at the top mark. The two marks next to the sight glass are a range like the full/add marks on your cars dipstick. As long as the level is in that range you are good to go. At least that's what Bruce Meyers told me.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Yes it does. High oil level can allow air bubbles to form in oil .This will cause wear on parts because the parts that float on oil dont float well on oil mixed with air.

Tim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts