Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my s4 out of the shop for it's 12k. Oh my God. The bill looks legitamate, and they gave me a return customer discount. It's O.D., so they do good work. But

$2243! :eek:

This includes cam degreeing, stm pulleys, new tire, chain, sprokets, rear brake rotor and pads, but still. Makes a speed triple or FZ1 look mighty tempting! I gotta figure this out on a dollar per smile basis. Love the duc, but this may be a rich man's ride, which ain't me!

Just needed to blow off steam. How do I present this to SWMBO?

Rideon

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
You mean that tires, chain/sprkts, brake pads, STM pulleys and such are cheaper for a Triumph ??

B

·
0 Posts
2 or 3 years from now the cost will seem like a really.....really bad dream, but you will still have a kick a*s motorcycle that will hopefully be running like the day you bought it. That being said.... HOLY SH*T that's alot of money!!! :eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 12k has gotta be cheaper for a limey or an oriental bike.
There may be a slight surcharge on generic parts going on a Ducati, although I have no idea.

I am just bleeding internally after writing the check, that's all!

Rideon

·
Registered
829 Posts
Some Hondas have variable valve timing that make them even more difficult and $$ than 4 valve Ducs to service. I feel your pain, though.

F

·
0 Posts
Could you break it down by parts vs. labor. It looks like to me you have about a thousand for parts that would leave about a thousand for labor (+ taxes). If shop rate is 80/hr. then 12 hours to do tune up and degreeing. Does anybody know if that is a reasonable time for such service?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have my 12k on an M900 next week. Hope Hope Hope it is less than $1k!!!

Not complaining, love the bike, but in terms of scale, I would expect the service to be less than my car.....Less plugs, less oil, less everything ;)

What did anyone else pay for their 12k, just so I can be ready for the shock.....

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
That's a lotta clams...

I just got my 6k done (620ie) and it was quoted as $650 or something like that.. Luckily I had the promotional 'free 600 and 6000 mile service' when I bought the bike..

Not sure what the 12k on a 2 valver would go for.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Oh man I am approaching my 620ie 12 k as well , and I keep hearing this horror stories. More and more I find my self thinking that I could do the 12k my self with out paying so much $$ to some one else. :-/

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In retrospect, I didn't need to degree the cams, I really didn't need 2.75 more horses over a wider RPM band. I didn't need the dyno tune to finish things up.I could have stayed with my old chain and sprocket until they were dead and buried. ( I did go with a 520 with aluminum sprockets, however) .It is a 4 valve. If your valves are "out" they charge an additional 30 minutes time to re-shim that particular valve, so with 4 valves, your cost exposure goes up by $65. The rear tire could have been ridden until it was used up.

It looks like the basic cost of my service for the 12k (4 valve) was around 950.

they did charge me 1.5 hrs for changing the sprockets and chain.

your basic two valve has to be less!

Rideon

S

·
0 Posts
No matter how you cut it, that's gotta hurt. Just curious: When is the next servicing after 12K?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
2 valves RULE!!!! ;D ;D ;D

12k is only about $600.

Add some goodies, you're still comfortably under a grand (BCM's "ka-ching" threshold)

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Valves are every 6k miles. Belts and fluids are 12k.

Rideon

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm guessing you haven't had major service on a Triumph. The parts and goodies aren't any cheaper. Also sounds like you got charged "book time" rather than actual time to do a job.

Makes a speed triple or FZ1 look mighty tempting!

Rideon

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't want to step on toes here, BUT if you were that concerned with saving money aside from degreeing the cams, and valve adjustment. Why not change the chain and sproket yourself. Same goes with the tire. This is what the internet and this board is for. Advice and help. There are so many web sites that tell you how to do things to your ducati. You don't have to be mechanically minded. They have pictures ;D I don't have a garage at my house yet I still do all to most of the maintenance on my Monster. I sat in the front yard with the dog and my dremel last week and cut holes in my airbox. Tools- I don't have many at all just your basic wrenches and a dremel. Anything else I borrow from the neighbor. It is possible and you can do it. Say that to yourself the next time you need a tire. Order it from the internet, remove your wheel from the bike take it to the local moto mechanic and get it installed and balanced for a fraction of the price of the ducati dealer. Thank you for your time and I hope I have not offended. Not what I was trying to do.

Pato

·
Registered
668 Posts
Well.

Panhead referenced to this thread, and I need to jump in.
I live in Italy. I use the dealer that has very good mechanics.

600, 6000 and 12000 all together has been less that 1000$.

I have changed twice the set. About 700

M

·
0 Posts
This post just cemented the decision to get the shop manual and do all of my servicing after I use up my vouchers. Even with my 2-valver I don't want to pay such nasty service costs. BTW, cars these days don't even have any significant service parts. Plugs go 105k before changing, and most don't even have distributors anymore so there's no cap or rotor to change. Timing belts are becoming passe in favor of chains that last the life of the car as long as reasonable care is taken in terms of oil changes, and there aren't even recommended valve adjustment intervals now that most of them have hydraulic lifters. Sometimes our beloved bikes just seem like dinosaurs when it comes to service needs. Luckily it is all offset by the smiles-per-miles. Even if it cost ten times what a car cost to operate I don't think any of us would give up our Monsters! Wheelie-on!!!

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe a naked Helix would have less costs? ;D

Rideon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts