Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well lets see where to start. Thursday on my way out of the parking lot at work I was going about 15mph and the next thing I knew i was on my back. I tried to stand up, but my knee buckled under my wieght and i fell back to the ground. By then i had a clear view from my position on the asphualt, i thought to my self why are there all these stars and a ford taurus where my bike should be. I was quite confused an disoriented. I some how managed to pull my helmet, jacket and gloves off (just bought the new leathers the day before) before i realized that my arm was broken. By this time i had realized what happened. The lady driving the taurus hadn't looked before she pulled out (which she did quite fast according to whitnesses). a few of my co-workers were helping me ge comfortable and getting all of my information from my walet for the police and the EMS workers. The lady (I still have no clue who she is) was very apologetic and quite hysteric. before i kew it i was loaded ino an ambulance and was boff to the hospital. After about five hours in the emergency room i was sent home with a broken wrist an broken knee. The wrist is broken in three places an a ligament in the knee, instead of ripping, remained attached to a small a chunk of bone which it pulled from my lower leg (sorry don't remember the name of the bone). Lets see, now for the monster. There is a big dent 8"x4" in the tank directly infront of the seat, no idea how that happened. The exhaust is pretty banged up, and everyting from the front fender the the gauge cluster is smashed. sorry for no pics but i don't have a camera. So i guess i'm out of comision for a bit. and sorry for any typos i'm right handed and thats the wrist i broke. oh and of course i could break the right knee, so getting around is fun. well all i have to say is wear your gear it helps emensly, i did't even have a scratch on me and watch out for those crazy car drivers cause they don't look for you. and sorry if this story was hard to follow, i'm a little doped up on pain meds right now.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
:'( Man, that is an awfully sad sorry. Take care of yourself and get well soon. My thoughts are with you... :-/

peter

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear about this. Broken bones in the middle of summer are tough. Glad you were wearing gear - could have been worse. Hope things go well getting the accident sorted out.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
zjones , get well quick, get that Monster fixed, and ride on!
Sorry, it had to happen, you are right you gotta watch out for everyone out there, they are not watching for you!!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about your bust up....

it is one of the uglier prices we can wind up paying for pursuing our passion

no matter how good a rider anyone is, it doesn't matter in the final analysis...because luck has so much to do with whether or not we will intersect with a jackass

makes you wonder how kids on bicycles survive these days

you also make an excellent testimonial for protective gear....

with damages and all.....go for an SR4 upgrade and climb back on

godspeed and quick recovery !!

·
Registered
783 Posts
You are lucky. I have a similar situation happen to me. But I was sitting om my CB 750 and zipping up my jacket. A lady decided to back into my spot, cause she thought it was empty. That was a mess. I was not injured too bad, but the bike was a mess. Hope you and your ride heal fast.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Sorry about your mishap (it isn't a REAL accedent unless you get a helicopter ride!). I can fix that tank for you & I also have some extra fenders you can have cheap. Ping me offline [email protected] BTW, don't worry, you're not the only one typing on the internet with one hand these days!!

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everybody, the pain has gone down a lot today so i am hoping for a fast recovery. I don't plan on letting this stop me from riding again in my future, but it is a real eye opener. The insurence company isn't going to get back to me until later next week, so my baby's fate is up in the air right now, i'd love to fix her but if they do total her might just have to take a closer look at that S4R. Ride safe everyone.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sorry to hear about your woes, but look on the bight side, her insurance should total the bike and you can go out and pick yourself of a new S4R. Maybe even get to keep the 620 for a project.

Hope you get better soon.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
man another victim gored by the horns of a ford taurus... they usually just meander aimless while grazing the highways ever so often drifting over their lane of traffic but something about the red and or two wheels sends them into rage and they callously trample the unexpectant victim. probably the number one bane of the north american motorcyclist... with the ford explorer a close second.

good news is that bones heal up quicker than tendons and ligaments. the bad news is that the soreness and stiffness doesn't really set in until after your first night of sleep. being one legged and one armed sucks but at least it'll be temporary. heal up quickly... don't worry about the bike... it can be replaced.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good luck with your recovery, luckily it wasn't any worse.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Hey Z,
Take good care of yourself and get well real soon.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will smack the mirrors off of the next Ford Taurus I see to avenge your senseless injuries... :mad:

Oh yeah, and get well soon!!!

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well to upadate, the insurance company totaled the bike. They said it needed new forks, gas tank, and they said the frame was bent. I was kinda shocked to hear that i bent the frame in such a low speed accident, but thats what they said. So once i heal i am going to be in the market for a new bike. The fault was determined to be the driver of the car, so i will also get my deductable back and all of my expenses for medical treatments. My agent said i will also be getting some amount of money for my "pain and suffering" so maybe an S4R isn't out of the question. So everything is on the up and up. Medicaly i am gettin better fast, the pain is almost gone and i get to find out more info on the knee in a week and a half. Can't wait to be a monster owner and rider again. thank you everyone for your words of encouragement on my healing process.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I couldnt help but notice that you didnt state what type of pain killers you are on. They give you the old Percadan or did you get hooked up with morphine? I am jealous of that much at least. [smiley=goofy.gif] Sorry to hear about your accident though. Good to hear you will be able to get a new ride too. Make sure you find out where old girl lives and do a burn out in her driveway! [smiley=evil.gif]That sucks. Beyotch was probably talking on a cell phone when she hit you....

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hey zjones,
fast recovery and take care.
You do seem in good spirits, and it is good to be so.

Do not forget 1000 in your next bike options.

Skier

·
Registered
571 Posts
8)Re: OUCH

Hope you have a speedy recovery & get back to Monstering soon.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts