Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a ride that had several long sections that I was travelling at highway speeds and I noticed a new (to me) oscillation/vibration at 65 to 70 mph especially between 4000 and 4500 rpm. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Re: Oscillating vibration at 4000-4500 RPM on an S

Are you talking about in the handel bars?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It feels like an engine related issue. It vibrates through the seat.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

How many miles do you have on your '02 S4?

Mine started doing it at about 2000 miles. Began to feel more vibration through the seat, tending to be worse when the engine is hot. But it doesn't always seem to do it.

It's definitely engine related, it is high frequency vibration.

I posted on this subject about 1 1/2 months ago:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tech;action=display;num=1057216847;start=

I know it's no comfort to you, but thanks for posting. I thought I was imagining it..........

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Speeddog, thanks for the info. It isn't comforting though. The bike has 1800 miles on it. I only noticed it on this last ride. I thought I was just being more in tune to the bike than usual. Did you ever solve your issue? I checked the wheel weights, that wasn

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

howie & MonstaS4,

I have yet to find the culprit. It happened shortly after I switched to 89 octane, and shortly before my battery started to leak. Also shortly after my rear cylinder base gasket started to leak.

BTW, I don't want to start an "Octane Thread"..........

The vibration hasn't gotten any worse in the 1600 miles since I noticed it, so I'm just monitoring it.

Probably when I get the base gasket fixed, I'll have 'em check the flywheel nut. I've run out of things that I can check without major teardown.

I'm baffled..........

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for the info speeddog, at least I have a complete list of things to check out! I was going to go talk to my service guys and see if they have any valuable input. The first time I noticed it was after hiking up the rear end w/ the height adjustment. I am sure it didn't cause the issue, just might have made it more noticeable.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts

Just a long shot since you have low miles, but just in case - On my M900 at about 14K miles the front sprocket had worn on the inside surface so much that it wobbled and vibrated on the shaft. One day it just started a kind of oscillating buzzing sound and a lttle more vibration. Noticeable enough I turned back home after about 5 miles. When I checked it, there was enough play that I could move the sprocket in and out along the shaft about 2+ mm and wobble it axially about 3+ mm at the outer edge.

While you are checking everything else it wouldn't hurt to look at that front sprocket for wobbling or loose locking ring bolts.

If that's it, a new sprocket should do it.

Mark J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts