Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have to love NYC. I've had my bike hit by cars/SUVs 6 times this year -- while parked on the sidewalk. This time, it was knocked over and dragged off the curb (I was parked 2+ feet off the street). The only thing keeping the bike from going any further was the chain I have through the front tire and onto a big steel signpost.

Damage? This time, the CRG Hindsight bar-end mirror and adapter was chewed up but not broken. The exhaust bent and gouged. But, the worst was the handlebars. The left bar is bent about 2" back and onto the tank. The clutch lever is not broken but has a lot more play. The tank, surprisingly, suffered little damage. I have the Cycle Cat frame sliders to thank for some of this but also the part where the bar bent into the tank left only a tiny mark which should be able to be buffed out. I guess sometimes, plastic tanks are better than metal ones!

Anyhow, now onto the big question and your opinions! Should I just replace the handle-bars and be done with it? Or should I take this opportunity to swap out the stock and put on the Cycle Cat (or other) clipons and triple clamp? I'm 6'0" tall so I would probably benefit from the extended reach and positioning of clipons. On the other hand, I've done a fair amount of riding with it stock and this position has been comfortable for me. What do people out there think?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think you need to put a fah kin steel cage around that thing,I'd be goin' out of my mind.:mad:

As for clip-ons or bars.I want clip-ons,much better feel/feedback.Also want C.C. rearsets to get the full attack position.
I,m 6'1 I feel a little bunched up right now on my s2r.

So imo give clip-ons a try.You can always change back. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
752 Posts
I think wen you live in NYC (and that is a city i think ::)) i would stick with the handelbars
Clipons are beter when you are faster then 50milles /hour
When you want to escape caps and other killing objects keep the handlebars

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
supertjeduc said:
I think wen you live in NYC (and that is a city i think ::)) i would stick with the handelbars
Clipons are beter when you are faster then 50milles /hour
When you want to escape caps and other killing objects keep the handlebars
Does anyone with Cycle Cat clipons know how adjustable they are? CC have different riser heights. Any recommendations here?

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Another opinion...I live in nyc too, sorry for your pain....
but clipons wouldn't be a bad idea...they look awesome, and since your rides are for the most part, short commutes, your back won't have enough time to start aching. They are also tougher/stronger than the stock steel handlebar. Handlebars are alot cheaper than CC clipons however, and the suburban machinery bar seems might be a good middleground. It's stainless steel, so tougher than stock, and if it does ever get bent, I've heard you can take it to a shop and have them heat it back to its original shape. GL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts