Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a ride with a friend on Saturday to Borrego Springs from LA (via TEMECULA).

Will there be crazy traffic that day?

We'll be staying in Borrego Springs, so I can ride some nice roads on Sunday, and We'll come back Monday.

What will traffic look like on Monday?

Thanks for your opinions. I've never riddine these roads on these Holidays.

·
Registered
911 Posts
FYI: I rode up and down Palomar today and the east grade is covered with ice and frost. I hit a patch of yucky ice and almost lost it.

Julian is okay, but parts of the Banner Grade have snow on the roadside so the melting runoff is flowing onto the tarmac. Keep your eyes open.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sorry, nothing personal. :-[ It was last minute planning. Honestly, you didn't miss much.

Besides, we left at GregP o'clock. Are you even up at that time of day? ;D

Bad Dog said:
Thanks for the invite, Dude !

::)

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Errr, there's no traffic out there at 6am. >:D

Beware of Palomar in the morning, pre 9am. I ran Ortega-Palomar-Borrego today. For Palomar, there was frost on the road this morning (backside, aka slow side) and wet in many of the turns. Roads were otherwise clear and clean. Someone on an absolutely pristine 954 rolled his bike. He was fine; his bike didn't fare so well.

Fire up the electrics boys and let the motors rip.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Creaking Leathers said:
For Palomar, there was frost on the road this morning (backside, aka slow side) and wet in many of the turns.
Help me out here: is "backside" South Grade (from Pala) or East Grade (to Henshaw)? I always called the "backside" the fast side meaning the East Grade which goes down to Henshaw.

If there was frost on the South Grade from Pala, then it must have been pretty chilly.

Lester

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Creaking Leathers said:
------------snip-------------
Fire up the electrics boys and let the motors rip.
[laugh] Bwaaahahaha.

CL, very few of the folks here have discovered electricity, but they're warming up to it.
I've converted one so far, and they're now awaiting delivery.
I think another is real close...

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Ciao Fun said:
Help me out here: is "backside" South Grade (from Pala) or East Grade (to Henshaw)? I always called the "backside" the fast side meaning the East Grade which goes down to Henshaw.

If there was frost on the South Grade from Pala, then it must have been pretty chilly.

Lester
Heh, Backside-frontside - guess it all depends on which direction one approaches it from! Backside to me is Henshaw side. Pala side was 99% clear - just a touch of scree on one of the earlier corners. Henshaw side had the frost - and was quite wet even at 11am. I saw some dampness in the shadowed corners at 3pm on the return trip.

As an aside, beware of the cattle-grates, even moreso in the cold. Steel grates are slick enough but doubly so in the cold.

Remember, a good ride is ANY ride with which you return home to your loved one's in one piece.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.