Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #2
If you're running a tad lean (as most of us with fairly stock bikes are). Opening up your box by itself will make the bike run even leaner.
I bought the FBF airbox kit that you are talking about.. and it's sitting in the garage waiting for my PCIII to arrive.
I'm hoping that the combo of the modded box + PCIII should do the trick.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I did that this weekend and fouled my plugs. $24 a piece WTF...
Get a pc111 before you put the filter on.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
sparkplugs.com $3 get the NGK equivalent. Works fine in mine i jsut bougth a box..... Karma for winning that Ohlins heheheh

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Give me the part #.My dealer didn't charge me for the plugs.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
That's the same filter I use. if you open the air box lid, and you have aftermarket cans, you'll need to richen the mixture.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I still have the stock cans.i thought i could put the filter on without messing with the mixture.I guessed wrong.
I'll put it back on when i get my pipes in a couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Why buy the Open Airbox when you can just cut the stock one. Save $80.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
http://www.motostrano-store.com/fbfairconkit.html

So, I'm running a tab lean, so I was thinking about either opening my air box lid up, or installing a air filter ....has anyone had positive experiences with these filters ?

Also, do you think you can just tweak on the matias
I don't know if I read that page wrong - but it says will fit all bikes except S4 and 620. Don't you have an S4? I would say cut it yourself. Strati's page has a section on the topic.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know if I read that page wrong - but it says will fit all bikes except S4 and 620. Don't you have an S4? I would say cut it yourself. Strati's page has a section on the topic.
here's the page he mentioned:

http://www.ducatipipemod.com/s4/mods/airbox

note that i should correct the instructions to recommend using a jigsaw rather than a rotary tool (dremel). drill a pilot hole in each of the 4 corners of the section you want to remove. the hole should be big enough for a jigsaw bit to fit in. use the jigsaw to "connect the dots" and ta dah! open airbox lid. jigsaw makes a much cleaner/neater cut than the dremel which does a lot of melting while cutting.
as a note, that K&N part number applies to all '02+ monsters and i'm pretty sure chris (ca-cycleworks.com) can get 'em although they don't seem to be listed on the site.

ciao!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am running the FBF conv. and a PCIII with Sil conis. I did the slipons first, so I can't comment on performance gains of an open airbox alone.
FBF did the install and tuning of the PCIII and liberated 5 RWHP and it really changed the feel of the bike. Great howling induction sound as well.
I was considering chopping the stock airbox but i figure if I had to spend $50 on a BMC or a K&N, I might as well spend the extra $20 and keep my stock lid ( for what I know not)

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
That was my reason.The bracket was only $20 and i think it looks better than cuting the box.If i ever need to sell the bike and take the pieces off i can put the stock box back on.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Check and see how that attaches to the airbox.
I used to have one of their old ones that had to be safety-wired or zip-tied to the box. that sucks.
If it uses the stock clips like this, that doesnt suck: :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
My FBF frame attaches with little spring steel "C" clips that act like the stock clips , only smaller. They feel really secure and also keep the frame under tension to prevent air leaks between the filter and the lower box.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Anyone ever tried removing just a portion of the stock airbox lid, keeping the sides and a couple inches in towards the center? Seems like it would offer most of the benefit while keeping the noise down. Don't get me wrong, I like noise (105db Sils), I just don't want to scare the neighbors kids and dogs any more than necessary. I may need those decibels for an vented clutch cover one of these days.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Does anybody make a nice pod-filter kit that will fit a 2002 fuel injected monster? I saw that Chris has a pod filter kit listed at CA-Cycleworks, but the picture does not work and there is no detail on it. I'd be interested in a complete bolt-on package to completely replace the airbox. I am aware of the TPO Beast kit, however, I think it is overpriced.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I sent an eMail to Chris about that. He said the other picture on the same page is "virtually identical" to what they look like...

http://www.ducatitech.com/2v/maint/rebuild/singles.jpg

He also suggested the pods will not breathe as easilly as the standard air-box filter. So if you want a free flowing engine go for a lid chop or a lidless K&N filter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts