Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone want to put their two cents in on this monster. The owner claims it's the rarest color ducati ever produced. Hate to keep asking what bikes are worth but if you have an idea let me know. If not it's still a cool bike to look at.

Bike Specs:

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
don't know about the color - doesn't look like Ducati blue in photos, pretty though.

Monster City was an model variant with saddle bags, higher handlebars, and a windshield. this bike is no longer a Monster City.

i have no idea what this bike is worth. if the bike is as nice in real life as it is in the photos i would buy it for a little too much.

·
Banned
551 Posts
That isn't a CRH is it? I don't know much about it - but I saw an article about it in Italian Bike Magazine. I just remember it was blue and had lots of trick bits on it. Maybe it was 944 right from the factory as well.

I could just be spewing completely incorrect information though. I'll have to see if I still have the mag at home.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
My opinion is that Monsters are too new to be concerned with any "rare" colors or status as collectables. If you plan to ride the beast, you will ruin its collectable status. If you modify it, you ruin its collectable status. In fact, someone has taken a "rare" city and undone all that made the City edition special. Don't worry about rarity. If you like it, buy it. If the mods are stuff you would have done anyway, they have worth. If not, they have no worth (like my # 18 hand painted Splash tank that I think is FUGLY, but someone paid $1800 for).

Opinion #2: That is a nice looking bike that I would be proud to own. But would rather have a stock City for its (relative) practicality.

Doc
BAck from my ride and adding my $.02

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Very nice bike. If you like what the owner has done to it - buy it. Don't worry about rarity or mods value - as someone pointed out, Monsters aren't old enough to become rear bikes yet and mods are only worth something if you like what the PO done.. Otherwise they're not adding (and sometimes taking away from) to bike's value. Example: PO had my bike repainted into lime (light) yellow with custom "Fly Without Wings" slogan on the tail cover.. Cost him over $2k. IMO he was out of his f'ng mind. :)
Get the bike and enjoy it for what it is.

Dimitri
'99 M750

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
There aren't a lot of Monster City's around, but I think that's more because there wasn't a great demand for them than because they're exclusive. With the funky high windscreen and and too high bars, they were probably the dorkiest looking monster to hit the showroom floor. And yes, they are the only ones that came blue from the factory.

On the other hand I think that's a pretty nice bike with many desirable mods, fairly low miles and a decent price. If I was looking for a Monster right now, that one would defininitely be on my list.

`99 is probably my favorite year for the M900, although I'd prefer the suspension that came with the 'S' models.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't even realize he had it posted here. I found it on cycle trader. I like the bike and the mods he did to it. I'm just not sure about buying a bike without seeing it and having to pay to have it shipped up to me.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I haven't had much of a problem with bikes that I buy from afar being very much different than they are advertised, but I have had problems with the paperwork.

My suggestion is to have the seller fax you a copy of the current title and registration before any money is exchanged. If you are satisfied that the names and addresses match the seller and that the title has no leins on it, I would suggest a down payment that gets you the signed title, the registration, and a notarized bill of sale sent to you. If you're happy with that, then finalized the sale and arrange for shipping. If any of the paperwork looks NQR to you, you can always go to the info desk at the DMV and ask them if all of the paperwork is in order.

The only thing worse than getting a nice bike and then not being able to ride it because you can't get it registered is having to go to the DMV 5 times to correct the situation.

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
IMO, i'd never buy a used vehicle without testing it out first, or at least agreeing that if you don't like it you can return the bike within a certain timeframe.

but that bike looks pretty sweet, dude.

·
Registered
206 Posts
`99 is probably my favorite year for the M900, although I'd prefer the suspension that came with the 'S' models.

--Fillmore
i agree...oh, wait - i own one! that's a great looking bike, esp like the bellypan. i say rock on!

cheers!
steve

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Again, I think that's probably a lack of demand thing rather than exclusivity... At least I hope so since my current tank is a painted over a bass boat red tank. I've also seen several of those come up on eBay as dealer takeoffs. 20 years from now people are going to be crying that they got rid of the rarest of all Monsters -- The Bass Boat Red Disco Duck.

--Fillmore

1 - 16 of 16 Posts