Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my bike in for its 600 mile service and my dealer is going to install new Sil Moto pipes(free installation), I figure I should go ahead and open the airbox while I'm doing that right and let him make any necessary ECU(is that right?) changes....Soooo my question is can I do the airbox now and then take it in or just let the shop do it and pay them? Thanks...sorry for being such a newb.

gnew

D

·
0 Posts
I don't why but I would wait at least 6k before doing any mods. The engine has to go thru the break-in time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have my pipes on the way (sil Highmounts) and didn't know the dealer could mess with the ECU. I figured I would have to eventually purchase a Power Commander to re-map. Is this true that the dealer can remap the existing ECU? If so, would it be highly encouraged to purchase a K&N filter with the pipes and have the dealer adjust? I was just planning on sliping the pipes on and doing that mod at a later date (when i get some more $$)

My bike is at 700miles and I am putting pipes on, just don't feel very safe with a quiet bike and i want to hear the v-twin purr!

P

·
0 Posts
Breake in is about 2500 km.

The ECU can not be remapped but the air-fuel mix can / should / must be adjusted if open air box / open exhaust. PC overrides some perameters stored in the ECU but otherwiese it works with the original ECU. You can also use ultimap from FIM which programmed right (Dyno) is a very good solution. Even standard maps are said to be very good. The ultimap replaces the factory ECU. Its about 2 the price af the PC but much more flexible if you need that. Will try that for my ST4s because I like the idea of simply changing the ECU and skipping extra boxes under my tank. Adjustement of the air-fuel mix done at the dealer will most probably be enough. I have done a DP kit on my M900 -02 and since then the bike runs very lousy when cold weather, and just not to good if its warmer. The dealers mechanic told me that I need to ajust the air-fuel mix because the bike is running very lean.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
If you modify the airbox before taking it in to get remapped, it will run lean. But I wouldn't worry about it if you make the change immediately before taking it in.

I wouldn't hesitate to start modifications after 600 miles. It's broken in enough that you can rev it to redline now. What difference does it make that the rings are still seating a little?

P

·
0 Posts
600 miles...thats about 1000 km. According to the manual and recommendations from my dealer broken in means 2500-3000 km, which is about 1800 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
As long as you follow the break-in procedures and don't over-rev the engine before it's time, I don't seen any problems adding mods. Doesn't really make sense that changing pipes, airbox, etc. would effect your break-in...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts