Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone reassure me.

So, my newly acquired 2001 M600 has some electrical issue, and it drains batteries. So many nights, it sleeps with the tank propped up so I can charge the battery overnight with a tender.

I go in to my shed this afternoon, and find a small puddle of fuel under the bike, as well as drip from two cables. I trace these cables back to here:

Seems like one is a breather hose, and neither is attached to anything... they dead end here and here:

and

When I replace my fully charged battery, and try to start it up, I hear one loud clank, and then this trying to start it:

What's weird is I did nothing different; i have left the tank in a vertical position overnight several times, I installed a freshly charged battery right before attempting to start etc.
I turned the key to the on position for 2+ seconds a few times before making this video, just in case the pump needed to prime after being in that position or those hoses draining.

Help me out?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I never lift my tank unless it is well under half full as the fuel will go to the cap and leak out through the overflow and usually the cap too.
This is why you see ducs with the fuel stained frames and engines.
All I can suggest for the starting is a bad or sticky solenoid.
I pulled mine out, undid the nuts underneath the main cables and could move the main cable terminals.
Then put a heap of WD40 in it and used a battery to open and close the solenoid a few dozen times.
Being 20 years old with low kms on it I think the grease had dried out inside of it.
Its been starting well since then (8 months).
You connected the battery the right way around?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never lift my tank unless it is well under half full as the fuel will go to the cap and leak out through the overflow and usually the cap too.
This is why you see ducs with the fuel stained frames and engines.
All I can suggest for the starting is a bad or sticky solenoid.
I pulled mine out, undid the nuts underneath the main cables and could move the main cable terminals.
Then put a heap of WD40 in it and used a battery to open and close the solenoid a few dozen times.
Being 20 years old with low kms on it I think the grease had dried out inside of it.
Its been starting well since then (8 months).
You connected the battery the right way around?
thanks for the tip; but literally 24 hours prior it would fire up with a tap of the starter button, so long as the battery was fully charged.

·
Registered
115 Posts
One of the hoses is indeed tank breather, the other one is from the filler opening (spilled fuel or incoming water). They are supposed to just end up open.
As QLDs4 said never lift the tank fully up when more than half full, it also puts a lot of stress on the hinge

·
Registered
66 Posts
the hoses are connected inside the tank to metal tubes. Assuming the Tank is not up and mounted in the position for riding the bike, if fuel is coming from one of those hoses, the tank is either overfilled or the metal tubes are rusty and leaky below the current fuel level.

·
Registered
293 Posts
As mentioned, the hoses are connected to breathers inside the tank, metal, then rubber ones to gas cap. If they split or come off, then fuel can leak out to ground. You would have to remove the tank filler cap to fix, a tricky job in itself.
I had similar problem, when low on fuel, no leak, but filled her up in a servo, and petrol everywhere on the ground.
The hose inside tank had split.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts