Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the Ducati dry clutch and am wondering...what, apart from style, is the benefit of opening the clutch cover? Is there any negative effects or precautions you got to take? i.e. like you can't get caught in the rain or dust storm for fear of getting water or dust in there? Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi!

The main purpose for opening the clutch cover is defenitly for style.

The clutch pack itself will run cooler because of the wind entering in it, you can see that as a benefit.

On the counterpart, if you're living in a raining area, you might want to keep your clutch covered as for too much water (or sand as you stated) in the clucth pack wouldn't be good.

Also, in a crash event, an opened clutch cover would leave your clucth pack less protected and then more suitable to receive damage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In addition to rain and dust, I was wondering how easy is to get you pants cut into open clutch? Is it frequent or rare occurrence?

·
Registered
238 Posts
As far as I know, never heard any stories regarding this issue. The «elephant pants» should be left in the closet though;) The opened clutch covers are still somehow present (depending on the model you choose) and gives a protection on this.

I've heard small enfant amazed by the turning pressure plate and trying to grab it:eek: . So be aware if the situation apply.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi, I am new to the Ducati dry clutch and am wondering...what, apart from style, is the benefit of opening the clutch cover? Is there any negative effects or precautions you got to take? i.e. like you can't get caught in the rain or dust storm for fear of getting water or dust in there? Thanks.
Make sure you HEAR one before spending the money on an open cover. You have to like the CLACK-CLACK-CLACK sound of an open clutch.

The style is there, no doubt about it. They look awesome. Personally, the open cover was so LOUD on my M1100 that it drowned out my Termi pipes and I went back to a closed cover.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Make sure you HEAR one before spending the money on an open cover. You have to like the CLACK-CLACK-CLACK sound of an open clutch.

The style is there, no doubt about it. They look awesome. Personally, the open cover was so LOUD on my M1100 that it drowned out my Termi pipes and I went back to a closed cover.
Good to know about the really loud clacking. Thanks for that. I was wondering if it would drown out my custom shorties I just made made - which sound incredible and right in line with the look I'm going for. I would hate to ruin the sound with extra loud clacking.

I'm curious to know if there is a complete clutch setup that has an open cover but may not clack as loud?

Cheers!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Good to know about the really loud clacking. Thanks for that. I was wondering if it would drown out my custom shorties I just made made - which sound incredible and right in line with the look I'm going for. I would hate to ruin the sound with extra loud clacking.

I'm curious to know if there is a complete clutch setup that has an open cover but may not clack as loud?

Cheers!
Actually, the clacking sounds comes from a «getting tired» clutch pack. The clacking comes from the friction plates tabs beating agaisnt the clutch basket.

Both worn tabs and basket will cause the gap to enlarge and then become louder. The OEM friction plates and basket are made of steel. Majority of aftermarket pieces are made now of billet aliminum. Two advantage:1- les noisy, 2- MUCH lighter.

Anyway, there's a very simple way to figure if you'll like it or not. Just remove your clutch cover and go for a ride ! There's no need to go for 1/2 hour ride, just around the block and you'll be fixed.

You'll figure two things by doing so; is your clutch pack/basket are in good shape as you'll have a direct look at it (LT Synder says that the gap between tabs and basket shoudn't be more than .5mm). And do you like the noise coming from it.

After that the choice is yours regarding witch color will be your next pressure plate !!

Have fun !

·
Registered
79 Posts
+1 to AlexNapo, that's good advice.

Just take your clutch cover off and fire it up to see if you likeee the soundeee. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I took it off and didn't have to go for a ride to realize that a) I need a new clutch pack b) the sound is horrid LOL....we'll see how it sounds when I upgrade to a billet basket and new clutch pack.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Guys, come on...that clackety clackety clackety isn't a bad sound and when the clutch is squeezed you get that lil tamborene sound.....coupled with womp womp womp of the exhaust......mmm mmm mmmm the best music there is. would you say that the Phantom of the Opera needs a new updated rap gangsta twist...nay nay I say its Ducati music and in fact should be celebrated as it is a sound uniquie to our brand....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Guys, come on...that clackety clackety clackety isn't a bad sound and when the clutch is squeezed you get that lil tamborene sound.....coupled with womp womp womp of the exhaust......mmm mmm mmmm the best music there is. would you say that the Phantom of the Opera needs a new updated rap gangsta twist...nay nay I say its Ducati music and in fact should be celebrated as it is a sound uniquie to our brand....
Don't get me wrong here... I LOVE the sound of it, I ride mine «opened» !!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't get me wrong here... I LOVE the sound of it, I ride mine «opened» !!
Its a bit embrassing though....I get allot of "is there something wrong with your motorcycle?" or "is it really suppose to sound like that?" when I am at a traffic light.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Its a bit embrassing though....I get allot of "is there something wrong with your motorcycle?" or "is it really suppose to sound like that?" when I am at a traffic light.
LOL

And what about :« Ducati ? Who makes this bike ?»

Unfortunatly true story

·
Registered
203 Posts
LOL

Unfortunatly true story
I had a Harley rider tell me to " put some oil in that Jap crap" when I had my 748 with open cover. Needless to say I had to laugh.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I ran my 1100 in that "torrential" 40 degree rain that northern Virginia saw a week and a half ago for 120 miles and had absolutely no problems with my open clutch.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
In addition to rain and dust, I was wondering how easy is to get you pants cut into open clutch? Is it frequent or rare occurrence?
See my post above regarding rain.

Neither dust nor water are really problems. The clutch itself creates dust so, if anything, having an open cover reduces the magnitude of this problem. The gaps between the plates are so small that nothing significant is going to work its way in, particularly while it's spinning, and definitely not with the clutch engaged (like when parked.)

Because the clutch is spinning, any water which gets on it is slung off immediately. Sure, it'll get wet while parked or stopped, but it'll just sling it off again when you move again. However, it is best to replace the springs with stainless steel, to prevent rust.

I have never gotten my pants caught in it, likely because of how fast it spins. I have also never heard of anyone having a problem. The only thing I would be careful of is strings hanging from the cuff of your pants. Cut them off and they won't be a problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
LOL

Unfortunatly true story
How about a Harley rider saying..." When did Ducati move from dirt to street bikes"

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love the sound of the clutch. It does get a bit tedious having to explain to non Duke owners that it is supposed to sound like that though. Luckily, by the 30th time you have exlained it you learn to just think 'Idiots'. As to changing for the aluminium stuff though. It is worth bearing in mind that you shold run an ally basket if you are running ally plates, similarly steel basket for steel plates.Mixing the 2 will make or increased wear at a much higher rate. If you really want a quieter clutch though, it is also worth considering one of the later clutch set up with more teeth. They seem to run much quieter than the older type.
As to getting your jeans caught in the clutch with open covers? never heard of it and looking at most covers there is plenty of protection from it happening. But if you wear flappy pants that could potentially get caught? then what the hell are you doing fitting an open cover? :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts