Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I know these may seem like stupid questions, but I'd like to know before I swap out my pressure plate and cover.

1. When washing the bike can I get the clutch wet or should the holes in the cover be duc taped? (no pun intended)
2. Here's my really dumb question....shoe laces. Yes, most of the time that I ride it's going to work or running errands. While I don't have 12in. shoelaces, I'm still concerned about a rotating chunk of metal a mere couples of inches from my shoes (& laces) While it may be a funny story to tell, I'd hate to get into a bind (again no pun) of coming to a stop and falling over because my foot is stuck in the clutch. I certainly understand no one is going to gaurantee that this can never happen, but of those of you that run an open clutch cover, does it seem feasible/likely?

Thanks.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The bike will get rained on, no? It is a good idea to run the bike afterwards, the centrifugal force will extract most of the water.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ive never run a cover and ive run across i problem. Since the bike leans to the left when its on its sidestand, and the clutch is on the right, water will collect in the engine case. I took mine apart and found that my basket had rusted kinda bad. I wire brushed it, painted it, and drilled a drain hole in the engine case. BE CAREFUL IF YOU DO THIS. there is a fine line where you can drill and where you cant. If your a fraction off you can hit inside the case and your oil will pour out.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yeah I've got a carport at home but it seems that it only ever rains when i'm at my girlfriends. It shifts pretty crappy those mornings until it's got nice and warmed up for a little while, then all is well.

Sucks to hear that about the rust....good idea to ride it around a while as soon as you can after some rain.

shoelaces..... no. don't worry about it

·
Registered
88 Posts
Try wearing proper riding boots and pants. I nearly crushed my foot on my monster and rather than face ankle surgery I always wear proper boots now.

I'm no gear nazi... but boots are a very easy piece to wear.

·
Registered
315 Posts
agreed. I dont have riding boots but i ALWAYS ride with my steel toe boots. They arnt the best but they provide alot of protection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts