Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of changing the stock belt covers for the Speedymoto open covers. I like the looks of them but I was wondering if having the belts exposed would be bad for the bike. Has anybody installed these or have an opinion on this?

Thx

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Garage queens, huh? I can't see why. I think many aspects of my Ducati are a work of art and want to see them. I just don't want to damage anything in the process. However, everyone has their own taste. I guess that's why there are so many different types of bikes.

Cheers

·
Registered
238 Posts
Garage queens, huh? I can't see why. I think many aspects of my Ducati are a work of art and want to see them. I just don't want to damage anything in the process. However, everyone has their own taste. I guess that's why there are so many different types of bikes.

Cheers
Agree with you all the way. Garage Queens is because of the «potential danger» of running unprotected belt.

They will wear prematuraly and then be exposed to a higher rate of failure. A broken timing belt is something you don't want to happen. Losts of internal engine parts will suffer then.

So, what I meant is that I'm too afraid of riding my bike with the belts unprotected and then if I put opened belt, the bike's gonna stay in the garage.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I thought it was a comment on my masculinity since I'd not heard the term before, haha.
I know what you mean though. I'm very concerned about potential damage. One friend did mention that it does allow you to constantly view the condition of the belts. Rizoma does make a cover with a clear window, so you get to see the belts and still protect them. It amazes me how expensive they are.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm thinking of changing the stock belt covers for the Speedymoto open covers. I like the looks of them but I was wondering if having the belts exposed would be bad for the bike. Has anybody installed these or have an opinion on this?

Thx
I just put the Speedymoto covers on mine and really like the way they look. Not sure about over all belt protection and have heard that the belts stay cooler this way promoting longer life. For me it was purely asthetic. I also added the matching sprocket cover.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They look great. Nice looking bike, remax. Make sure you post after you've had them awhile and let us know how they're working out for you. I saw another thread recently where people had them on for several thousand miles with no problems. I did hear of one story where a guy picked up a rock and it shredded his belt. I think that if you run the open covers, you make checking the belts part of your pre-ride routine. It should be easy enough to do.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
the covers protect the leading edge of the front belt where it is most likely to catch road debris.

i run mine full wide open and have had no problems.
other guy in the shop has the speedys and rides every day. (except when there is snow/ice). no problems

jeff h
monsterparts.com

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not knowing what the weather is usually where you are is like, all i can say is i run mine fully open, Ive ridden all year round, in all sorts of conditions and i have had no dramas, and the UK is having some really crap weather at the moment!

It does look cool and can freak some people out, its like running an open clutch, everyone will tell you its wrong just incase this and that happens ..... but what the hell!!

Yorkie

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
Not much problem with debris--but I don't leave the bike unattended and I'm careful to keep my fingers away.

Don't wipe the bike down while the engine is running or try to warm your hands onthe engine while you are riding...

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to say it is really sharp looking. I agree that it can be a little dangerous but no more so than running an open clutch cover.

·
Registered
22 Posts
SM beltcovers

One of the reasons I love Ducati is because of all of the functional Bling we can get. I got a set from Jeff @ Monsterparts last summer and put 5000 miles on the bike since with no problems. I live in the NE so the riding season isn't as long as I would like. My last ride was Dec. 5th. Put them on and ride! I get tons of comments and they work.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live in the northeast also and was a little concerned about road crap getting in there and screwing up the belts. It's good to hear that everyone who's installed them have had no problems. I just bought a set from a member of the forum and can't wait to get them on. The problem is the temperature outside right now is 11F and spring seems like a long way off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts