Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first thing this morning, I took the airbox lid off of the Monster and left the filter on the lower housing, and went for a little ride to see if i'd like the sound of the open airbox. I liked the sound, and decided that I will cut off the top, but I didn't really like looking down and seeing the air filter, it seems to me that the space for the key would make a nice little funnel for water to pour right on to the filter when I decide to cut off the top of the airbox lid, and if I happened to be caught in the rain, it seemed that there wouldn't be much protection from the front from spray from the front tire. I've read that people haven't had much trouble from water entering the open airbox, but I'm a little skeptical. Is there a way to open the hole under the snorkel on top of the airbox? Are the pod filters a better way to go? Is there much modifying to be done if the pod filters are installed? I know that i'd need to have the Mathesis tune done to my bike, and I'd plan on that as soon as I decide how to open the airbox. Thanks for any and all advice, I'm just paranoid about f'ing up my bike. [smiley=worried.gif]

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Worse case get a water proof air filter... ;)

S

·
0 Posts
If you look where the air goes after it goes through the air filter, you'll see that it goes through 2 fairly narrow intakes.

Thus, I don't think you really need a fully open airbox to maximize hp.

I would just remove the rubber "trumpets" and drill a couple of extra holes (or cut open) the airbox on the upper/rearward part of the lid. Leave the forward-most 3 inches or so alone.

I think that would open up the airbox to give the engine more air than it could use (i.e. the airbox lid won't be the bottleneck), allow for more intake sound, but would still give pretty good water protection.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was contacted by Retro, and he said that Manley Cycle had some info about an airbox cut, I'm curious if anyone knows about this particular mod, or how to get ahold of Manley Cycle and who to talk to about it? Also, what are the trumpets that Socalmonster900 is talking about? thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the same reservations about cutting open my airbox. What I did was took an 1"3/4 hole cutter and drilled two holes in the front of the lid .(one on each side) Then I put a piece of pvc pipe in the holes with the front edge cut at angle. So, hopefully an water will drain off and not in. It made like a forced ram air induction. Plus I love the added sound when the trumpets open up. I noticed some power increase too. In second gear if I crack the throttle the front end starts coming up and it didn't do that before. I heard the pods are more cosmetic. TPO has some and I think Cycle Cat might.

·
Registered
206 Posts
bought mine with an open airbox (didn't know there was any other way for it to sound!) - ridden thru several downpours and rainshowers...not a problem.

cheers!
steve

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Ferraci sells a nice little kit w/ an aluminum ring and K&N filter. Never have any problems w water since K&N is oiled filter. Sounds freaking awesome when you crack the throttle, intake sucking sound is almost better that the exhaust note.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ditto, Jeff. I also like the clatter of the FIs.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Not like I know anything about anything, but when I was asking about installing a TPO Beast intake to my local dealer, he said all I really had to do was remove the snorkels from my air box and get a K&N. I am not sure if just removing the snorkels would give you any better protection from water opposed to an open box since I have never even seen my air box yet...lol. (I am definately not a bike mechanic)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I've got the 'aluminum skeleton' setup. Just enough to keep the filter on the bike. I've been thinking about velocity lately though, plus the fact that the rainy season just started here.

I'm wondering if we're actually killing some hp, or possibly 'roughing up' the power-band by cutting the boxes open too much? The more restricted the airflow, the faster it will get sucked into the carbs, correct? So perhaps a 'half-open' airbox would be the best mod?

I'm guessing that the only way to really tell would be to start with a stock lid and a dyno. Start cutting out bit by bit to see where the power gains drop off and whether or not power is actually lost at some point.

We should just all pitch in and by a dyno machine just for DML use. Hmmm... install it in the back of a box van and tour it around... Paint a big DML logo on the side....

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the latest......The dealership where I'm getting the tune of the FI done says that they will cut the airbox some way that doesn't allow water in, I wanted to do it myself, but if they know a better way, I'll let them do it. As far as a filter goes, I looked at CA cycleworks, and Chris said that K&N doesn't make an airfilter for ST framed Monsters which apparently mine is. I've got a message posted to Moto to see if Motowheels has an option, the dealer said that they have a filter for $75 but the Butt pucker factor kicked in ($75 for an airfilter that they probably got for $25) and I'm checking into different air filters. Any ideas for an air filter? Stick with stock? If I stick with the stock air filter, will the tuning need to be tweaked if I switch to an aftermarket later? Thanks for all the info, I'm probably being too paranoid about this, I think maybe I have OCD ::).

S

·
0 Posts
k&n is DU-9001
had one in my s4 before ditching the airbox.
check the parts sheets and you'll see the '02+ m900 uses the same one as the s4.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Also, if you do go with open airbox and slip on exhaust, you will have to retune (my carb'd 900 needed a rejet). Otherwise, your bike will run lean (bad news).

X

·
0 Posts
k&n is DU-9001
had one in my s4 before ditching the airbox.
check the parts sheets and you'll see the '02+ m900 uses the same one as the s4.
I called K&N and they said they don't make one that fits the '02 750 of mine it is like 8 1/2 X 11. They do however make a general panel filter with diminsions that will fit...But trying to find a place to order one of those through is crazy! I don't know what they did to these '02 750's but I would call it an abortion year bike cause most of the stuff on them is unique to the bike...Take for instance the hugger for the alum swingarm... can't find one in CF. The way the risers are cast into the triple clamp. little things.....I'll get off my soapbox now.

S

·
0 Posts
too bad K&N doesn't bother looking up the info... this info's FREE on ducati's site:
www.ducati.com/bikes/catalogs.jhtml

you'll see that monster s4, (2002) m620, m750, m900, (2003) m620, m800, m1000 ALL use the same air filter. ducati part#'s 426.1.010.1A and the corresponding K&N is DU-9001. any shop that orders K&N motorcycle filters should have no problem ordering this part. once upon a time, i ordered mine from the "ducati garage" but they no longer offer filters.

as for a rear hugger, the standard unit off a monster s4 is carbon fiber. buy one and put it on your m750. it WILL fit if you trim just a VERY TEENIE bit off the chain guard where the s4's unit interfere's with the 750's chain guide.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts