Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much should I cut off??
Should the under tank pad be retained or discarded??

I cut off 85% of the top of the airbox then installed it and put the tank pad and tank all back - IT looks like everything as before except for a small slit in front formore air.

I am thinking I should cut it down to the base leaving just enough to clamp down the airfilter. And maybe run without the tank pad?

Thanks for any advise or experience.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I Re: OPEN AIRBOX:

I just sent you an email with pictures that will show how much you need to cut off. I would have posted them here, but the sight that host pics is down. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Re: I OPEN AIRBOX:

I just sent you an email with pictures that will show how much you need to cut off.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
"And alternantive?" ???

You need a few hints on how to navagate to whatever you were trying to reference.

As for cutting the airbox, when I did mine, I left several inches of the front to keep more bugs and rain water out. Once you have about a 20 square inch opening, cutting away any more isn't going to let through any more air.

D

·
0 Posts
Re: OPEN AIRBOX:

I'm just curious. Would drilling several small holes be just as effective?

·
Registered
374 Posts

I don't think it would work the same or be as good. Many small holes could in fact cause the air box to work less effective by creating voticis or air flow issues like when you roll down the windows of the car.

R

·
0 Posts

What's a tank pad? ....you can cut more if you like but you might want to just look at an aluminum filter frame then.....my only other advice is don't neglect your air/fuel mix.
Something like this...http://www.drdesmo.com/airbx.htm

Scott I think the reference was for an alternative site to host images since Andrews was down.

R

·
0 Posts

My S4R has a pad that lines the inside of the tank. Its held in by velcro. I imagine its for sound. I would remove it if you cut down the box.

D

·
0 Posts

Mr. Cornet! Would the air flow over the top of those small holes create (-) pressure and actually suck air out of the box?

·
Registered
472 Posts

When I had my k&n for my 900ss I had a really cool install done with just a small frame , drilled holes and excllent work by a counterpart that knows how to secure racewire.

I haven't seen that done on anyone else, it seems that everygig I see actually utilizes the stock clips in some sort of fashion, includin my s4.

this is just some random ramblings...

·
Registered
447 Posts

Check out the DP catalog. They have kits with an air filter and new top. See how much they cut out.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts

From Neil Spalding on the Sigma site. While he talks about a ST4, I think the idea transfers:

"The first confirmation was that the Ducati design department still suffers from 'Supermono airbox disease'. We took the airbox top off and promptly found a bunch of power, all the dips and bumps in the curve ironed out. Torque likewise was up, at 6000 rpm we had a near 7 ft-lb. improvement; 14% more than standard.

·
Banned
897 Posts

When I took mine to BCM for remapping, they drillrd the bejesus out of the top, but only to the label area. I wasn't sure why and neglected to ask, but I trust what they do. I later cut the top away, again just to the label area. They told me the tank pad was just for sound, and removing it, well, yup, it's loud, you open it up and the damn thing just HONKS the air in...... gives me a woody every trime ;D

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts

Adam in MO said:
CUT IT ALL OFF
Wait, are you saying I should cut it all? Your post wasn't so clear ;D

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts

I used to run w/o the airbox lid, using an aluminum ring to hold the filter in. It was pretty loud. When I replaced the lid, there was a perceptable loss in power. Pursuant to the Sigma performance article posted by Infoage, I started cutting away at the back of the airbox lid. I have two vertically oriented 3 inch by 2 inch holes on the back. It's as quiet as the full lid in place and the power is improved, but that's only based on my butt dyno. I've been planning to get a custom map made for my PC-III and will probably enlarge the holes a little prior to that.

·
Registered
541 Posts

here are some pix: original vs DP 'original' - this is not homemade, but could be done easily!
Hans

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts