Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

online sources for oil pressure gauge

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  utzelu 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Could you please recommend an online source for buying a good oil pressure gauge (preferably together with fittings for Ducatis)? Recommendation for the right gauge is appreciated also.

Thanks,
utzelu

#2 ·
Are you looking for the gauge to be permanently mounted on the bike, or as a shop/diagnostic tool?

#4 ·
Easy to build one for the toolbox - my recipe:

100 or 120 psi pressure guage from any pool supply or irrigation supply store (approx $5) Just make sure it's a liquid guage instead of an air pressure guage.

Metric adapter kit from AutoZone (under $10)

Use the correct adapter from the kit on the guage - you may have to add in a reducer bushing from the hardware store if the guage you found is bigger/smaller NPT threads than the adapter. Some guages come with 1/8 NPT and some 1/4 NPT. Without walking out to the shop, I think the adapter is 1/8 NPT X M10.

#6 ·
I bought mine from Autozone I think. It runs to 200 psi. You def need higher than 100. On my 01 M900 it will run 100 psi at idle when cold (cold for Florida anyhow). I questioned this but the 01 apparently runs higher pressure.

#7 ·
+1 on the higher pressures. Befoer the bearing started to go, the Monster put out about 70 or so at cold idle and pegged my guage over 100 at anything higher than idle until it warmed up. I just went with the gauge I had on hand already.

#8 ·
Ok, i did the oil pressure check and the findings are:

- engine cold:
1100 - 1300 rpm: 94 psi (the Haynes manual says 35.5 psi)
3500 - 4000 rpm: 100-110 psi (manual says 71 psi)

- engine at 70 Celsius:
1100 - 1300 rpm: 72 psi

After the engine temp. got up to 70 Celsius, I installed back the switch and restarted. After 1-2 minutes of idling the engine, the oil light got red again.

I'll take the bike tomorrow for a ride to get the temp. higher, then double check the pressure with a mechanic (and his gauge) and again my gauge (in order to confirm the readings).

Could it be that the switch is gone? Any advice and opinion is welcomed.

BTW, the bike is 2002 Monster 620ie Dark.

Thanks,
utzelu

#9 ·
Those oil pressures are encouraging - That's about what mine looked like when I first got the bike with about 12K miles on it.

So the signs are pointing towards the sensor unit. The way to be dead certain is either have your mechanic (or someone) pressure test it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.