Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last March (2017) I purchased my 2016 Monster 1200R and after one year of ownership I thought I should provide some feedback to potential new owners, and some farkle reviews for current M1200 owners.

Thought on the bike: it's almost perfect. The power and handling impresses me every ride. I have owned many bikes and think that Ducati has really put out a really great bike (for the MSRP price it should be great) and we are living in great times. The brakes have excellent feel and if bled properly work as good as they should. I heard the hype of the Brembo M50's and have to agree that they are the best calipers on the market (maybe the new Brembo Stylema brakes on the Panigale V4 are better but I haven't had the luxury of trying them). The seating position and distance to the ground for my 5'9" frame is perfect. I can flat foot the bike and have no issues backing out of parking spots, which have aggravated me with other bikes. The only negatives (for me) are the lack of fuel gauge on the "R", lack of quick shifter (I remedied below) and that the sound of the bike is not as gnarly/awesome as the Aprilia Tuono V4. Other than that no issues.

My top 3 additions (farkles) I made to the bike:

1) Bikemaster Heated Grips W/lcd Switch 7/8 (search Amazon ~$55): these heated grips work as well as any factory grips I have used in the past. It also is very easy to put on the Monster. I think I put them on within 30-45 minutes tops. The nice features of this heated grip are that there is a digital display that fits perfectly to either side of the dash, and when connected to accessory port it will automatically shut off when ignition/key is turned off. One part you will need to purchase is a 2 pin HM 090 Male connector (~$2) for the accessory power connector located on left side under fuel tank. I bought the connector here:http://www.cycleterminal.com/hm-sealed-series-090.html . One tip: don't glue the grips to the sleeve/handlebars, they are tight enough where they will not slip during use (YMMV).

2) Annitori QuickShifter Pro: http://www.annitoriqs.com/product_detail_1.php (~$240) . I have reviewed in the past:

I installed the Annitori QS on my '16 R. It has made shifting a joy, especially from first to second gear while turning - like entering a busy road from a side street. I can keep both hands firmly on the handle bars and shift just using my feet. It will downshift if there is positive RPMs - it doesn't always like to downshift while coasting to a stop (I think downshift would work best at the track when your always on the gas). The Annitori phone app works well to adjust QS times, but I really haven't had to move from the default settings.

Now the bad part. Installation is done at the injectors not the coils. This means you will have to remove the fuel tank and airbox lid. If I had to do again I would have upgraded the airfilter to a K&N while I had it out. Also, running the power to battery (what I did) is not super easy on the Ducati and if I had to do again I would have spent a few more minutes to power the QS from a "Key On" positive power source. The reason I say this is if you connect the QS to the battery and use a battery charger it will send all that power through the QS circuitry which could lead to failure (I would think a battery tender is ok).

I think it took me around a full day to wire it in (going slow). The controller box fit under the seat, and all wires were easily hid with the tank off. (*Be sure to secure any excess wiring in the air box - I had to reopen the airbox to remove a loop of wire out of my throttle body that was caught in the butteryflies - yikes)

I would do it again, but there were times when taking apart my brand new bike I was asking myself "what the the heck are you doing?". Also, the price is right.

3) Motea ConStands Central Paddock Bike Lift (Ebay ~$280) I know this is not really a "farkle" but I have really enjoyed using this bike lift/stand to change oil, lube/clean chain, remove tires, etc. It is a very good quality (made in Germany) product that make working on the bike a lot easier and enables you to move the bike around the garage much easier. See picture for more info. It it also less expensive than purchasing front and rear bike stands from PitBull, etc. and allows more uses (rolling bike around, etc).

So now you have read my review of the bike and favorite farkels, I would love to hear your review and favorites as well!:grin

Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
I actually read your previous review of the Annitori. I'll be keeping your comments in mind when I install one this spring. Hopefully they're working on a blimping downshift feature. However, I would never install a K&N air filter as they are junk, at least as filtration goes. Sure they flow but so does chicken wire.
Moving right along, you really got me thinking about those Bikemaster Heated Grips. Looks interesting.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
676 Posts
@MotorheadBen
FYI, I just bought the Annitori QuickShifter Pro this morning even though a blimping feature will not be available. No big deal as it would have doubled the price and not that useful for the money especially on a Monster. This info comes directly from Annitori Racing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
@MotorheadBen
FYI, I just bought the Annitori QuickShifter Pro this morning even though a blimping feature will not be available. No big deal as it would have doubled the price and not that useful for the money especially on a Monster. This info comes directly from Annitori Racing.

Post some updates after you install. I’d be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
676 Posts
@696DCRider
I echo @MotorheadBen most excellent review of the Annitori Quick Shifter Pro.
This thing rocks. As a matter of fact, it's as good as the OEM QS on my Panigale plus it's adjustable.
The negative part is that you should expect a full day's work for your tech to install it.
BTW, he did an awesome job.
@MotorheadBen suggested to power the QS from a "Key On" positive power source.
This is exactly what he did as he used the accessory port under the tank ( i didn't know we had one) where the QS is powered only when the ignition is on.
The command module was installed under the seat.
The hardware is very inexpensive but the real cost is the installation.
All and all. It was worth every dollar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts