Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 M620Dark with 4000mi was put away for the winter recently, I have made an effort to start it up about once a week just to keep oil in the cylinders, battery somewhat fresh, etc... For some reason when I started it up last week and with the choke open it idled at 1000rpm! the engine seemed to make a strange clicking sound that may or may not have been there before the problems started and was just covered up by the engine working properly (could be normal engine noise). Anyway, my buddy who owns a 900 was telling me it sounded like it was firing on 1 cylinder. I had taken it out for a short drive and it had no power at all. I would have to rev it up to 4000rpm and then release the clutch at which point the revs would go down to 2000rpm and the bike would lurch away. This was not good!!! Is there anything else I can check for myself besides the plugs being fouled? Even if that's the problem, what could I do to fix it? I would like to get a rough idea before taking it to the dealer.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a great suggestion. There was a small amount of gas in the tank for a while, so I topped it off and put in some "sea foam" additive to help keep things clean and stable in the tank. I guess I should have burnt through or drained all the old gas before planning to put it away. I emptied the tank last night and refilled it with fresh gas, and then put some new sea foam in. Is there anything else I could do to get it running properly? Maybe just clean the plugs off then?

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Check all your electrical connections behind the side covers under the seat. One of the leads came disconnected under the left side cover on my '03 M800 and caused the bike to only run on one cylinder also. I took it to the dealer and he had it back up and running in no time. Definitely helps to know where to look...

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Check the header pipes (carefully) when you first crank it up to see which cyclinder isn't firing. One pipe will get hot immediately, the other won't.

If that is the case, try fresh plugs. If that doesn't cure it, then you may have a bad ignition control module or bad coil.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I didn't see that other topic about the coil and ignition problem until recently. That would have never occured to me. It's probably best to rule out the problems that don't cost anything to fix before I go taking it in to the shop. I'm glad I joined up on this monster board! It's nice to see others who have the same monster fever I've had since I saw my machine on the dealer floor...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man what a relief. I took the plugs out and they looked oily so replaced them with some new and it started up and ran perfectly. Two plugs and 5 bucks later the desmo is fully operational. Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Check and replace the spark plugs.Had the same problem and solved that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts