Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving to a new apartment complex with no garages available at the moment so parking will be on the street. I'm going to rent storage to get through the South Dakota winter but during the warm months I commute on my Monster and may be forced to park on the street. I'm looking for any tips for keeping my baby safe and secure parked on the street. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
disc lock, chain lock to something solid, alarm, COVER it, more locks.
They say if they really want it, they're gonna get it, no matter what. but most thieves look for an easy target, so make it hard as possible for them to take it.
Do you have a car , chain it to your car...BUT.... don't take your car and forget it's chained tight.. on second thought, DON"T chain it to your car.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, I had the idea of chaining it to my truck but the same thought came to mind. My best hope is that a garage will become available before spring.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Make sure it is insured. Then cover it and forget the locks - maybe one chain that is obvious.

I park every day on the streets of DC. A new H-da 600RR was stolen this summer. Some guys came by and lifted into a truck. You could have all the wheel locks you want on it, but IMHO they are just going end up doing your bike more damage when you drive off with the thing still on it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I see a biker here in San Fran that parks his bike on Van Ness here everyday. if you know San Fran, you know Van Ness....anyway it is always parked outside of GoodGuys.

He/she puts a freaking Construction cone on the handlebars everyday so people dont back into him...Not sure where he/she put the cone when riding, but if you are parking outside at HOME, then you could put it inside your aptment and then you could rest a little easier knowing that someone might not be so inclined to back into your bike and knock it over....Everytime I see a bike on its side here in the city, I start to shed a little tear, like that indian that sees the trash way back in the 70's TV commercial... :'(

anyway, best of luck...

·
Registered
455 Posts
....anyway it is always parked outside of GoodGuys...He/she puts a freaking Construction cone on the handlebars everyday so people dont back into him...
I know that bike! I see it all the time too. Very smart, whoever that is. Probably works at Goodguys and keeps the cone inside the store.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
If you really don't want your bike gone, you'll have to chain it to something solid, and hope they don't have good bolt-cutters.

Just last weekend, 3 of us (average sized guys) helped this girl who had damaged her R6 on a ride load it into the back of her husband's truck. It's a piece of cake to lift a bike into a truck, it took something like 10 seconds or less.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Your target thief that you want to stop is not a pro. A pro will get your bike no matter what if he wants it. they can out wait you for the right moment. your target thief that you want to stop is the guy looking for the easy score, probably driving around in a truck looking for a easy ripoff. GET INSURANCE, COVER YOUR BIKE, a thief wants to know what he is stealing and that is is worth some money and chain it, try the krytonite chain ,to something that is not movable if possible. Alarms are good if they are adjusted properly, i.e. not going off all the time at the slightest movement and sound.good luck

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies! I cased the area out a little today and found there are one or two signs around that I might be able to chain to. Does anyone know the legality of chaining to a parking sign (assuming it's not saying I can't park there)?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Cover it (out of sght out of mind) and chain it to something. Those Kryptonite chains and locks are the best. Also moving it around every few days, ain't a bad idea either.

I agree with my fellow District of Columbia resident, disc locks serve to only potentially kill you. Bikes are picked up and put into vans with disc locks on them all the time here.

I wouldn

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Your target thief that you want to stop is not a pro. A pro will get your bike no matter what if he wants it. they can out wait you for the right moment. your target thief that you want to stop

S

·
0 Posts
Chain it to a tree, put on a disk lock, cover it with a cheap waterproof tarp. Then cross your fingers every day you walk away from it. And make sure your insurance is paid up.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Where in SD are You ?

Cover with a Alarm sign, chain lock with an alarm (I got one, works great and does not let you to forget it) and the rest mentioned here.
The insurance is a good thing. If You think they might get it, then is better to insure it.

Stay well, enjoy Terry Peak !

Skier

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
a cheap waterproof tarp???? how about a real waterproof motorcycle cover, it'll stay on the bike much better and look MUCH better.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
of course now you have to lock the cover ;D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts