Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I down shift and let the clutch out without gas is this going to wear out my clutch faster. I don't quite understand bliping the throttle. Currently I use the clutch like I would in a car easing out the clutch while coming on the throttle. I was thinking it would be easier to just use the clutch. Any thoughts would be appreciated as well as a better explanation of bliping the throttle.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
IFAIK the only reason for bliping the throttle is to match engine speed to wheel speed. This way there is less of a chance of skidding the rear tire as the momentum of the bike forces the engine to match wheel speed. The clutch is only wearing when its slipping, so the less time you spend slipping it the less wear it will incur. I don't think clutch wear is a concern IMO.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
desmo_drum said:
IFAIK the only reason for bliping the throttle is to match engine speed to wheel speed. This way there is less of a chance of skidding the rear tire as the momentum of the bike forces the engine to match wheel speed.
Yup -- daz it. And there's no real need to do it when you riding at what I'd call "normal" revs. It's more when you are high up in the revs and when banging it down into a lower gear will cause the rear to lock up or even just chirp. Logisitically, what you do is give it a bit of gas (I know it seems counterintuitive) at the same time as you pull in and let out clutch. Giving it gas should be just a quick flick of the wrist, not a roll-on. I kinda do it by feel, so I'm not sure exactly what the action is, but if you were slow it down, I think it would be clutch in, quick throttle blip, clutch out.

If you practice it for a coupla days, it'll come naturally. When you first try it though, be prepared -- you'll time the blip too early without having the clutch in and it'll surge forward a bit. Don't worry 'bout it. It took about a week for it to get hardwired and now I do it all the time whether it is necessary or not.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I blip on all bikes cause:

1. It's fun
2. It works
3. Sounds good with my pipes.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Rev matching should be left at the track. Street riding doesn't require it. It is probably the most difficult skill to learn. Done properly it's a thing of beauty, done incorrectly and you'll crash. Don't engine brake. Practice smooth downshifts and remember it's better to be in a gear to high than a gear to low.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts