Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I'm looking at getting a new 796 when it becomes avail. Only problem is I like the old style headlight/fairing much better than the new monsters. I can't seem to find this via search -- is there a bolt-on way to run a round 7 inch headlight without a lot of bracket manufacturing? Any special brand recommendations? I almost wonder if there's a full kit to run the old style light/fairing on one of the new monsters...

Thanks!

Will

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Any Luck?

Hey, Will. Any luck in your search for a mounting option for an older-style headlight? I'm looking to do the same to my 696. I've been trying to find an old 620 headlight, but I'm thinking that a GT1000 lamp might be a good option.
Of course, the instrument cluster mounting bracket fabrication is still an issue. Have you come up with a work-around for that part of the mod?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the update, Will, and thanks for those links. That 7" lamp is pretty nice. Please keep me in the loop on this project as it progresses.
I work for a CNC manufacturer, so I guess I could have one of the engineers fab up some instrument brackets, but getting the right design is my sticking point.
(I work in advertising/public relations, not development)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those look cool, though I can't quite figure out the bracket/mount -- seems like they've got a special bracket right into the front of the custom lower triple clamp... Does anyone know of a decent way to mount this kind of light? Doesn't seem like it'd work with the fork tubes, would have to be done sort of like this...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@doworkson, that looks great -- that looks like the bracket they sell over at aztec8 (which I actually have on my other bike, though for a dual headlight), that you then cut down a little bit. Is that right? That also looks like the headlight from aztec8 as well...

·
Registered
232 Posts
@doworkson, that looks great -- that looks like the bracket they sell over at aztec8 (which I actually have on my other bike, though for a dual headlight), that you then cut down a little bit. Is that right? That also looks like the headlight from aztec8 as well...
Thanks!

I got the headlight/brackets from xpo streetfighter... I did cut down the brackets because stock, they push the headlight too far out and I wanted it tucked a little further in towards the forks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
YES! I knew I saw it on this forum somewhere.
Do you have a parts list? The damn instrument/headlight connection is ballsing up the entire project. I haven't seen any good solutions except yours.

·
Registered
73 Posts
doworkson, I'm totally going to rip off the design of your bike. OK, not really, but I seriously love the look. While I have you on this thread, will you PLEEEEASE tell me where/how you remounted your voltage reg when you removed your right side panel?
Thanks, and I won't try to steal any more of your mods.
Dave

·
Registered
232 Posts
You can kinda see where I mounted the voltage reg here in this post...

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums...ds/190920-diy-100-custom-m696-oil-cooler.html

Basically, it was mounted onto the frame where the charcoal canister used to be. Once you get your canister and the plastic piece off, you just kinda have to play with it and find a good spot.

If you have the appropriate tools, making brackets is an option, and a must if you decide to make a mount for the gauge cluster.

I needed a steel vice, hammer, dremel, hacksaw, and etc. The metal pieces that hold the gauge cluster on are custom made, and then were powdercoated black.

I dont have the lengths for the brackets, but you are just going to have to play with them, take your time, and find a length and angle that you like.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts