Votes: 0 0.0%
  • under 20

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning with the tendinitis in my left hand hurting worse then ever and thought how much longer can I ride a Ducati. Riding has been my life for 35 years and I'm hoping for at least 20 more years before switching to a goldwing.........Oh gawd the pain has made me delirious!

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I'm riding with bilateral acute chronic evil carpel tunnel and I can completely understand.
After the mercedes hit me last month, my right hand hasn't "quite" felt right since.

*sigh*

But, they'll have to pry my S2R1000 from my cold dead hands. ;)

My remedies that have helped ALOT!

Decaffinated Green Tea (as ice tea, no sugar) 10 glasses a day.
2000mg Flaxseed Oil daily
Aleve before a long run.
Ligament stretches before riding.
Weight training.
Gel gloves.

Dunno about a clutch slave, as i've not gone there, but I did upgrade to the CRG shorty levers....and THAT was a great move.

In the end, Honda, Ducati, Suzuki whatever...as long as we are riding...in the end that's all that REALLY matters.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take it's place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I think a GT1000 is more extreme than a Monster, and an ST is pretty much the same.

I'm 44, and I've found that Ibuprofen helps with the joint stiffness and pain during and after a ride.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I will be 40 this year, but they have been 40 "no holds barred" years. I too am starting a collection of aches and pains.

When I will be reduced to a walker/wheelchair, it will be Italian with lots of mods.

·
Banned
897 Posts
I'm months short of 50, and it seems the older I get the more important overall physical conditioning/strength becomes. Core strength especially relieves a great deal of stress on your extremeties.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I was talking to my dealer the other week and he said that he has noticed with his customers that "after they reach 60, their riding really falls off. Not all but most..."

Enjoy it while you can:

My exliers:
A vegeterian diet (meat if full of all kinds of nasty stuff)
A quality multi-vitimin suppliment
A quality Glucosamine/MSM suppliment (Ya get what ya pay for in the vitamin world)
Try not to put on too many extra pounds
Try to stay well hydrated (drink lots of water...good for the joints)
Blessed with good genes (not much one can do about that but be thankful if ya got 'em)

Try to stay away from OTC or 'scrip' pain relievers. As the 'natural" docs are want to say "You don't have an Ibuprofin (add your rain reliver of choice) defiency." Explore natural alternatives.

Hey this body wasn't designed to last forever.

Ride on brothers and sisters.....while you still can.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
i concur with all the comments regarding to maintain your physical health - to me working out is extremely important to feel good throughout the day, maintain strength and control, and to have the ability to fight off the pains of life (as best as you can). Mental fitnees is also as important - things like reading and researching about your bike or other passions your have - All positive components to battle the inevitiable end we all will face as mortals. I've been into an excellent program of eating healthy 6 times a day, working out (different body parts) every morning, and drinking tons of H2O! I'm 40 and feel better than ever. - Check out some "older" guys like Randy Couture of the UFC - that guy is almost indestructible at 40.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
42 here and feel pretty good in general and riding. I hike, run, lift weights, ski and walk a lot.

I swear by keeping your body strong to ward off things like arthritis and back pain. I'm hoping to be riding my motorcycles and keeping active for at least another 42 years!

·
Registered
2 Posts
58 and still going strong. I've always done something active - skiing, snowboarding, motocross and my latest is mountain bike riding. I ended up having a knee replaced about a year and a half ago and didn't think I'd really ever be able to 'fit' on a Monster.

After a -lot- of cross country and downhill mountain biking, my knee loosened up to where I gave myself an early xmas present about a month ago - an 07 S4RS. I've put about 1K on it since I bought it including a 150 mile ride in the Santa Cruz mountains yesterday.

The more you do to stay in shape and keep the blood circulating, the longer you will be able to whatever it is that keeps life interesting.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
chopperbill said:
I woke up this morning with the tendinitis in my left hand hurting worse then ever and thought how much longer can I ride a Ducati. Riding has been my life for 35 years and I'm hoping for at least 20 more years before switching to a goldwing.........Oh gawd the pain has made me delirious!
I'm 48 and my trails bikes have been a great bike experience, excellent for increasing core stregth and flexibility. Nothing makes my surgically repaired back feel better than a good hard day on the KTM 200, would have never guessed. Stay active, anti-inflams, and ice.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Motran and ice have been a standard for me. I do weight training and it helps overall. The tendinitis in my hands come and go. I have a few friends over 60 and they ride BMW's. Of course they think I should come over to the dark side and get a Beemer. As soon as Ducati builds a ST(4rs?) with a Testastretta motor or even better a 1098..........I'll will be the first one in line at the Ducati dealer.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
62 here (63 in feb) bought my current monster 4 years ago. Don't ride as much as I used to mostly due to time constraints, but I still love it!

Part that hurts first is my butt. And thats with a Corbin seat. Like to take it out and play. Don't have any twisties around here, gonna see if I can make thr Dragon next year.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts