Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted at SH.org
Sounds interesting.

================================================================================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New cell phones have the ability for the network to track the location of cell phones for "911" calls. This data is transfered through the digital network of the wireless carrier. This can easily be changed in your phones menu settings.

Things youll need:
a cell phone that you dont use, that supports Digital and Analog (most new phones)
the ESN or HEX number from the back of the phone
a cigarette lighter charger for your phone
wire (12ga works best)
zip ties
electrical tape
a good phone battery
ziplock bag

(Example phone: LG VX6000)
Step 1: On your phone, Go to the menu, select settings, select location, there should be menu that says "E911" and "Location On", select "Location On" or something similar. This displays Latitude, Longitude and Altitude of the location of the phone to andbody that requests it. This can be accesed even if your phone is not activated.

Step 2: Go through your phone and change any settings that would turn off or put your phone into sleep mode.

Step 3: Find a hiding spot where your charger can reach, that it would most likely not be seen.

Step 4: Find a 12 volt power source, this must me a power source that is always on (with the battery in obviously). I think there are 3 wires, you must connect the wires that are always on. The way you can tell is by testing the wires and making sure they charge the phone when the ignition is off. Once you find the "always on" wires, just splice the wires and run them to where you want to mount the phone

Step 5: Plug the charger into the phone and make sure everything works.

Step 6: Run the charger cables to an area where you can mount the phone. Make sure they are hidden from anybody.

Step 7: Make sure the phone is charging, and if it is, zip tie the charger cord to the phone and put a ziplock bag over it. Then mount the phone in an unseen area.

Step 8: Your Done!

If your bike is ever stolen, you have a few options:
1: Call the police and file a legit police report, make sure they know that you have a phone on the bike that has GPS abilities, and its setup for that exact reason to recover your bike if its ever stolen. Give them your ESN/HEX number, and it can be used LEGALLY by you or any police officer investigating the theft.
2: Call the phone carrier, give them the ESN or HEX from the back of the phone, and get Lat & Long from them. This can be inserted into any GPS or even Google Earth, and you will be able to see the location of the unit.
3: If you are a AAA member or even if you have roadside assistance enabled on your carrier, you can always call them to get the location for... umm... "Roadside Assistance"
4: Call Fugitive finder, 917-295-4425, they will find the phone to the nearest centimeter! They charge a few hundred dollars (may defeat the purpose), but it will save your bike

For those with GSM type phones (SIM Chip phones). They have IMEI numbers which are about 11 numbers long. Copy those down. GSM phones are avaliable with T-Mobile, most Cingular, Nextel, GO Phones (Prepaid), Boost Mobile (Prepaid), and Amp'd (I believe). If you have any of these companies, you most likely have an IMEI number instead of a ESN number. ESN numbers (non-SIM Chip phones) are with Sprint, Verizon, Tracfone, Virgin Mobile (Prepaid), and INpulse (Prepaid).

Also I would like to mention that if you DONT have a extra cell phone you can go buy a 20 or 30 dollar prepaid phone and dont buy minutes. It will act the same as a old post paid phone.

This has been done on many cars but dont know if anyone has tried it out on a bike yet so feel free to give it a go.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good idea...seems like itd be hard to hide a phone on a bike though.

If you dont get a prepaid phone, dont you have to have a monthly phone service plan though?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
That's a really cool idea , Thanks for posting.

My contract is up in a few months and I think I might do this with my old phone. If you hack the phone apart and remove execs components like the screen and the battery you can make the form factor that much smaller. Heck you could even rip the guts out of the charger and build it and the chopped phone into a single small enclosure.

A great place to hid the phone system (only legal if you live out side of CA) would be in your emissions box. Just disconnect the hoeing and clean the box out. No one would take a second look at it.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
AliG said:
Good idea...seems like itd be hard to hide a phone on a bike though.
are you kidding...think about how small a Motorola Razor is for example....you get a beat up trade in razor...and VOILA!...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Cool idea, sounds like it has potential. I am wondering two things: how long it takes for a charging cellphone to drain the bike's battery, and how willing the cell providers are to provide location info to a cellphone not registered with their network (in the case of a prepaid or even an OEM phone)
Here's an interesting alternative, but with a (low) monthly fee. Lojack lite.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Demoni said:
A great place to hid the phone system (only legal if you live out side of CA) would be in your emissions box. Just disconnect the hoeing and clean the box out. No one would take a second look at it.
Except, of course, that this is the first component to be ****-canned by any self respecting gearhead. I think mine lasted about 7 minutes after my bike got home. As I understand it, I was also lazy in removing it, as the average time of removal (wow, a new anagram: ATR!!!! [thumbsup]) is four minutes and thirty-seven seconds.
But on the upside, it really would be fun to respond to a signal location in a dumpster outside a crack house at 3:00 a.m.
I could use a bit more cultural awareness...

But seriously folks, this is a great idea. Just one question: where could you hide it on your spouse? And what would you wire it to without her getting suspicious? Hmmmmm...

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Ducati Pilot said:
[Quote from: Demoni on Yesterday at 11:39:45 AM]
Ducati Pilot said:
Except, of course, that this is the first component to be ****-canned by any self respecting gearhead.
DUDE....that's the answer....move the cannister to a different location where it doesn't matter...run the wires through a conduit going into the cannister in place of a hose...and VOILA....smart idea!....and if done right...the damn thing will already be water sealed mostly!...so what if it hangs on the inside of the subframe behind the side panels for example....

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The cell phone has to be able to get a signal.
It probably has to be put somewhere wher eit is not encased in metal.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
dakinebusa said:
The cell phone has to be able to get a signal.
It probably has to be put somewhere wher eit is not encased in metal.
You could easily extend the antenna outside of the can. Seriously though guys, it wouldn't be hard to hide a cell on a bike at all. Especially if you took it apart.

Justin

·
Registered
54 Posts
Would draining the battery be a big deal. If you were to wire it up to charge the phones battery after the ignition is turn on. The phone can run on its own battery for a couple days. Granted this means you have to ride your bike a little longer to keep it charged up, which is also a good thing, right?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
A.Duc.H.Duc. said:
You could easily extend the antenna outside of the can.
What cell phones have extendable antennas anymore if antennas at all?

Ducati Pilot said:
Just one question: where could you hide it on your spouse? And what would you wire it to without her getting suspicious? Hmmmmm...
In the pocket behind the drivers seat(least accessable place for a driver to reach to). Just charge it up every night and stick it in there in the morning.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I did something similar for a grad school project. i used a microcontroller and a cell phone (connected via serial port) to send a text message to a predetermined phone number whenever the trigger signal was activated. writing the code was actually much easier than i thought it would be.

for something like a bike you could wire the trigger to the ignition or a motion sensor and enable or disable the notification using another signal (switch) or by a specially formatted text message. (texting "ON" or "OFF" to your bike enables/disables the security system)

god, i'm such a nerd...

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
With my pod filters and carbon fiber tank I think I've got the perfect place to hide the unit, but I'm still worried about how long the battery would last if the phone was hooked up to always charge. Is there any way to wake up a sleeping phone remotely?

A good idea worth thinking about.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I happen to have an old beat up razr that i have no use for, but my bike's battery is just barely holding on as it is in this cold weather. There's no way I could put any drain at all on it and expect it to still start...

Maybe in the summer, or in california, this would work.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
For those of you with the stock airbox, that seems like the perfect place to put the phone. You could easily tape it in between the throttle bodies.

As far as the draining issue, that should really only be a problem in winter months when you aren't riding at least every few days...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
As far as draining the battery, it does not seem like a phone needs a lot of juice even on a continous charge basis. I'd be more concerned with this set up in an ST4S or SBK as many of the older ones had either a charging deficit or an inadequate stock battery. Starting those bikes in the morning was sometimes a bit iffy if they were not on a charger all night. At least that was my experience.

My Monster on the other hand could not care less if it was on a charger the night before. But if it becomes a problem then you could use a Battery Tender on it at night.

As far as hiding it, if you have a small enough phone you could mount it on the underside of the seat pan or in the "storage" box of the stock seat or Sargent seat. The only drawback would be that if the bike is "chopped -up" then it would be easily seen.

Also, I would not place it anywhere near where gas fumes could accumulate and cause an explosion should you inadvertently call it or someone dials its number by accident. Unless of course you decided to "total" the bike since it was already stolen. ;D

·
Registered
384 Posts
how about putting a small phone, inside the headlight bucket and extending the antenna outside of the light, you wouldnt be able to see anything!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts