Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

My bike has 570 mi on it right now and it's a 50 mi (or so) ride to the the shop. It's going to be nice this weekend (for once) and I would like to get some riding in. I don't have time to get the bike down to the shop in the next week or two, so my question to you who are so graciously able to answer me is: Can I ride over 600 mi. safely before taking the bike in for it's first service? Will this effect my warranty?

Thank you.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I was in the same boat. I went and got the stuff for an oil change. I did the oil myself to hold me over. Its nice working on the monster. The only special tools needed are a 14mm allen and and oil filter wrench. Good luck finding the 14mm allen. I had to borrow one.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
If you get it serviced before 1000 miles, you're not going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I would call the shop and plan an appointment (since it is the busy season), just you so don't for example ride 800 miles, then try to make an appointment, and have to wait 1 or 2 more weeks while the weather is nice and risk going over 1000 miles or letting the bike sit.

mitt

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good ideas guys, thanks. I probably won't be able to get the filter either Dennis, but I'm not going to be doing too much more riding anyways, since I'll be busy. But I'll keep the 14mm allen in mind for when I don my own service!

Thanks again everyone!

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Also If you take it in before the 600mi the maint light will come on after your service visit and you'll have to reset it yourself. It's easy to do though. Make sure your dealer resets it for you if it is on when you take it in. If you need to know how seach the archive for maint indicator.

B

·
0 Posts
I was at 630 miles when I called for an appointment. The service manager said the soonest they could get me in was next Tuesday. After I told him how many miles I had on it and everything seemed to be okay, he told me it wouldn't hurt anything to ride it some more...sooooo..I did. ;D

It's at 740 now....and parked until I haul it to the dealer Tuesday....ahem...they are 175 miles away...hence the haulage.

I've got another bike to ride...Gasp... :eek:...the Harley. Funny thing, though...since getting the Monster, the Harley is definitely become a second string bike. The Monster... more filling at half the price. [smiley=waytogo.gif]

·
Registered
366 Posts
Guys, the bike's not going to blow up at a thousand miles either. The first service is primarily an oil change and belt tension check. Did my first service at 780 miles after a track day, and didn't get a maintenance light either.

I would call the shop and plan an appointment (since it is the busy season), just you so don't for example ride 800 miles, then try to make an appointment, and have to wait 1 or 2 more weeks while the weather is nice and risk going over 1000 miles or letting the bike sit.

mitt

·
Registered
915 Posts
Mine had 720 on it...the shop told me anything under 1000 was no big deal....they were great about making an appointment though--New bikes get a little preference over others because they wanted their new customers back out on the road.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yeah, there is no self destruct mechanism at 600 miles. My only concern was the warranty.

I spoke to the shop and said it was no problem at all.

I brought it in at around 850

T

·
0 Posts
my 'maint' light came on at around 620 miles.

I did the 600 mile service at approx 650 miles.

No problems.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I did it at close to 800 miles. The Service Manager told me it would be ok, just make sure you don't go above 1000 miles. According to him, that would be pushing it.

Keep the rev low.

Leo

T

·
0 Posts
On the drive to the shop, I went over 600 miles.. at 601, my bike began to shake and I heard a loud "Quack", then all of a sudden I was holdind two Duck wings attached to a very angry Duck. Only kidding....
I drove mine in at 1000 miles, I think Ducati gets more concerned if you have a problem after the 600 miles and you did not get the 600 Mile check-up. example: Something breaks at 1000 miles and then you try to get warrenty help as aposed to getting it at 1000 miles and the haveing a problem after the maintenance.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know technogrunt, I thought I smelled burning feathers today when I hit 600 mi. on my way to work :-X

V

·
0 Posts
Took mine at 870m. no problems. changed the oil, checked the belts, tightened a header bolt. no biggie.
You're gonn abe fine, just go easy with your new baby. at least for now...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts