Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Ok, so if not my monster, this bike.

3K views 45 replies 29 participants last post by  Redbeard 
#1 ·
I saw this at my dealer the other day and it really caught my eye. Check it out and see what you think.

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/usa/4553.aspx#gallery

I don't know if this is a new bike or if it has been around for a while, but I like it alot and pretty much the same price as my bike. Second bike in a couple of years maybe.

#2 ·
It's been around for awhile. I sat on one last year. HEAVY..... about 80# more than my monster. There is a race series just for them called the Thruxton Cup. Same bike for eveyone; I think all they can change is tires. I think it even runs at Mid-ohio during the vintage bike weekend.

#6 ·
The 'new' Vincent, of course - if ever made - looks also damn good. http://www.vincentmotors.com/BIK/

Use the configurator and check out some different schemes. Pretty neat.

And it may happen to have my last name, but its NO DUCATI. So I won't be buying one probably, just upgrading or buying a second Duc.

#8 ·
C Fresh said:
I saw this at my dealer the other day and it really caught my eye. Check it out and see what you think.

I don't know if this is a new bike or if it has been around for a while, but I like it alot and pretty much the same price as my bike. Second bike in a couple of years maybe.
If you like the Thruxton, take a serious look at the Sport Classics. Same style, 1000DS motors...

#9 ·
C Fresh said:

Funny you should bring this up, my friend just got one & we were riding around Manhatten this past weekend.
I think it is very simliar to the GT1000 in style.

#10 ·
I think Triumph nailed it with the retro style, but it is a hard choice when you have Ducati making the Sport Classics, which just kill the Triumph in performance. Another neat retro bike was the Kawasaki W650, whcih they made for a couple years and by some reports did a better job of emulating a british bike than the brits. I like the Ducati, but of course, I'm a little biased.... ;)

#16 ·
ducrider45 said:
Norton went under again. :( They have closed shop.
Yes, I read that too. Too bad, that bike would have been cool.
8)

#18 ·
HyperM3 said:
Is it just me or is a brand new 2006 bike that comes in carbed form, not fuel injected, a waste?
Do you have something against carburetors?

#22 ·
HyperM3 said:
No, but why would I buy a brand new bike that isnt fuel injected?
This might be construed as a bit of a threadjack so I'll keep it short.

Almost every new streetbike made has fuel injection so you'd almost have to buy an injected machine.

To achieve current emission requirements fuel injection is the way to go. It's real tough to get carbs to meet those standards. Some will even say that fuel injection produces better fuel economy. Stock, maybe. A lot of people are messing with the FI so their bikes will run better. In those cases their MPG is not very much different that what I get running 41mm flatslides. I also have no performance problems whatsoever with my carbs.

That's why I like the carbs. Good performance and easy to work on. Two reasons that I didn't buy new. If I bought a newer injected bike I'd also have to get the test equipment & tools to work on it. That's just me. I've got over 30 years in the wrenching business & I read all about all the problems people have with getting their injected bikes worked on.

If I had the money to throw at an injected bike to make it perform better than my carbs I would.

#23 ·
Mac900 said:
Do you have something against carburetors?
I don't either. They are awesome in John Deer's [laugh]

#24 ·
Hey! ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.