Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I'm thinking about swapping out my S4.

I'm moving from San Francisco, where the S4 is (imho) the best thing to have to Savannah, GA, which, while beautiful in its own way, is flat and doesn't have a bunch of twisties. It will be a place for less aggressive riding, I think. What's more, my wife has given me the greenlight to drive across this great country of ours on a motorcycle (shout out to my baby for that one).

So I just think that the S4 is not going to be put to its highest and best uses there (if someone thinks otherwise, feel free to say so). Also, there is no Duc dealership in Savannah -- there is one in Charleston (about 120 miles away) but it's going to be a huge drag, I think, to tow that sucker to Charleston if it breaks down. Does anyone here own a Duc in a town that doesn't have a dealership? What do you do if it breaks down (assuming you aren't a Duc mechanic yourself)?

I'd also like to drive across the US on a bike that's not going to make me feel like someone's been kicking me in the a$$ everyday. I know that you *can* go cross-country on the S4, but it just doesn't sound like it's going to be all that great.

Anyway, this is all a longwinded windup to ask: Anybody got opinions on the Yamaha FZ-1 vs. the monster? How about the ST4?

G

·
sargent seat,
bags,
taller windscreen,
fairing brace.
keep the s4!

ooooooooooooorrr... if you really don't think the s4's the way to go, then figure on some leisurely riding in GA? why not go with a cruiser? something laid back and comfortable but with plenty of thump like the vtx1800. slap on a "police screen" for the cross country trip for wind protection, and then loose it when you arrive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I've definitely been thinking about a cruiser, but the thing is, even if I could afford one, I don't really feel like a Harley guy (in other words, I don't feel like I'm 50 years old and going through a mid-life crisis ;D), and I don't really want one of the Japanese bikes that are just Harley knock-offs. But that's definitely something I'm considering.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
As far as touring, the S4 may or may not be good, depends on you...

Rachel D. from your neck of the woods did an Ironbutt rally on a Monster, 11,000 miles in 11 days or somesuch. Tough lady, tho...

I've done 450 miles in one day on my S4 with some Tourmaster soft luggage:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bi...orum1;action=display;num=1059601275;start=0#0

Wasn't too bad. Stock seat wasn't the greatest, but you already know that... ;D

I'm with Strati on what he said about the S4. Ride it out to Georgia, then ride some around there, see if the S4 really isn't what you want.

Cruiser? GACK :-X

G

·
Folks, I'm thinking about swapping out my S4.

I'm moving from San Francisco, where the S4 is (imho) the best thing to have to Savannah, GA, which, while beautiful in its own way, is flat and doesn't have a bunch of twisties.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Allright!

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Once I got a Corbin seat the Monster was fine to ride for long distances. If I was only going to be doing long trips I'd think of another bike, but I've put 600+ miles on it in 12 hours before. My only problem was leg cramping, but being 6'3" this bike is a bit small anyway...

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Remember, Savanah is only a few hours away from the mountains, and......it gets mighty hot in summer in Savanah. Think of the nice week-ends in Suches, or Deal's gap, or Asheville, or.................

G

·
id take the monster cross country in a heartbeat! i happen to have a ducati tall touring windshield i wouldnt mind selling. i recommend the corbin seat over the sargeant. i have owned both and the corbin is way more comfy for longer rides. the sargeant was good for commuting and less than 200 miles or so. i have the factory hard bags on my monster. they are the same as the st2/4/4s and they work wonderfully. with a tank bag and a tailbag if necessary you could be very well equipped for a long trip. let me say finally, whatever bike you ride, im very jealous! the trip sounds like a blast to me. good luck.

·
Registered
100 Posts
What is an FZ-1? If it's the 1000cc Fazer it's a missile, very competent two up and handles fine if you dial the suspension in. I had one two years ago, sold it because it was getting me into trouble when challenged by youngsters in sports cars. Above 7000rpm it was like the stars rushing towards you on Star Trek when they go into warp drive, it also goes slow beautifully if you are adult enough to do this.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I would reconsider changing bikes. Savannah is only a few hours from the mountains of N Georgia. Some great riding, including the nearby "Dragon". There is also Roebling race track just outside Savannah. I have never raced there but have been told it is a great track.

G

·
I live about an hour + from Savana in Charlston, SC. You are right there is not a hill to be found, but I have found some local "flat" twisties that make worth taking the long way home. The mountains are a bit of a ride to get to but not really too bad and definately worth the trip. So I guess Monster is not put to it's "best" use here, but it is still a lot of fun. Plus I have yet to see another monster on the road around here. If you want any info on the area I'll tell you what I know. (I have only been here for 6 months myself)

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you sell the S4 and buy the FZ-1, you'll regret it the first time you make it to Deal's Gap and the Dragon!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Keep the S4, I used to live just outside of Savannah, Down in Hinesville at FT Stewart. I had my 750SS there and it was great riding down there sure its flat but there are some nice roads out there. Ride out to Tybee Island cruise the beach and also there is SC where there are some decent roads. Its a real nice ride out to Hilton Head Island and the area right around Beufort SC is real nice alot of history in the area down there. Then if you go South you also have Jekyll Island down in the Brunswick area. When you get to Savannah you have to check out Vinnie Van Go Go, probably the best NY style pizza you will ever eat and its cheap. Plus you will be the only one around with a Ducati. When I was there I had my bike down in Savannah had plent of people stop and admire it and take pictures. I have been out to Roebling road to watch the races, real nice people out there and nice track. So keep the S4. My 2 cents!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Oh yeah there is a guy that lives out in Tybee Island that works on Ducs. He used to own the Ducati Shop up in Athens I believe. Ask around there, is also a guy who is running around on a Motto Guzzi he knows who he is. I wanna say his name is Ron but not to sure. I have spoke to the guy on the phone before, real nice guy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts