Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was pretty happy yesterday after fixing the oil leaking into the clutch area, but now it seems something new has come up! What I did yesterdya was pull the clutch and replace the large seal in the clutch case and another in the drive gear that the clutch basket bolts onto. I also replaced a couple of the small orings in there while I was at it. I put it all back together filled with Mobil 1 synthetic 10-40, and took it for a quick ride to see if any leaks occurred. Nothing... :D

So this morning I left for work, and about 10 mnutes into my ride I look downand see the oil light is on. I knew it had oil because I just topped it off before leaving, so I took thenext exit and shut the bike down to check the oil level. It was right in between the min and max lines, so I started it back up and the light was off. I take off again, and as soon as I take the exit it comes back on, so I took the exit again and headed for home which was only about 2 miles away. I pulled over once again and shut it down to check oil again, and it looked fine still. Started it up, no light and stayed that way all the way home. ??? I got home and the light still wasn't on so I just parked it because I had to get to work.

The only funny thing I noticed was that the site glass had a whitish cloudy fog on it. when I had pulled over earlier, but was gone when I got home. I'm thinking it may have been condensation from it sitting for the past month while it's been waiting to get fixed, and it burned off. The bike is a 99' M900 so I knew it wasn't coolant in the oil, but don't know what to make of the oil light. Is there something behind the engine cover on the clutch side that would create low oil pressure? I'm thinking since I was working there something may not be right? Or is it because I used 10-40??? I never used that weight before so I'm not sure how thin it gets in an aircooeld monster. Please help me so can get back on the road!! :'(

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
You should be using 20W50 in your M900, not 10W40. There is probably enough of a difference between the two to make your oil light go on when the bike is hot.

I've had a couple of instances of my oil light coming on, usually in real hot weather and when the oil is a bit on the low side. I've noticed it when revving the bike then idling right after. The oil pressure isn't gone, it's just low enough that the oil light comes on because the pressure is low.

Switch to 20W50 and you should be okay.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I changed the oil to 20-50 tonight and took it for a ride again... This time it only took about 5 mintes for the light to start coming on. It was faint at first, but quickly went to solid bright red :( :mad:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could all of the sudden cause the oil pressure to be no good once it warm. I don't have the gauge to diag the oil press. sender either, so I'm almost left with taking it to the dealer. I've never taken anything to a dealer to be fixed so this is a knock to the ego. I guess i can tear it apart again to see if something obvious is up. Other wise I think it must be a coincidental oil pump going bad. How long do the oil pumps usually last? I've got 11K on the 99' M900 and it doesn't look like the previous owner ever had it touched the clutch or behind it either.

Does someone have the oil pressure tester?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
technically, the bike shouldn't be ridden untill the oil pressure is checked with a mechanical gauge. since you have been riding it quite a bit and it's still alive, you probably have an oil sender problem. the sending unit is cheap. mabe take a ride (not on your bike) and buy a new one and give it a try?

the fog is condensation. no need to worry.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
MotoDuc,

Not knockin' your mechanical ability, but maybe an o-ring fell out of position, or the seal that ensures delivery of oil to the end of the crank is backwards or hurt?

Sounds like something went haywire on your reassembly. Don't feel bad, I had the top end buttoned up on my racebike once, and looked on the bench "Hmmm...seem to have an extra piston pin clip here...DOH! :'("

Seems prudent to unzip it and make sure all of the parts are where they should be.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Don't panic. Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. Senders go bad.

I once did a head gasket replacement (and cams and porting) on my Alfa Romeo GTV6. I then took a visiting friend on a death-ride up Sandia mountain (Albuquerque) right after buttoning it up.

My oil light came on! I was sure I'd gotten some gasket material plugging up a critical oil via! I was BUMMED! My mechanic checked it out. Pressure fine. New sender. Everything ok.

So you might need to open the engine, but don't do it until doing the simple pressure check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts