Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all. Here is a small question.
I have never had this issue with any other bike so I figured I would ask everyone on this board, before I panic, but today after I finished riding home from work, I happened to look at my oil sight glass. for some reason, it almost looks a little "cloudy", like there is some cotton or something on the inside of the glass. My first reaction would have been anti-freeze mixing with the oil, but this is not a liquid cooled engine. I should mention that the bike in question is a 1999 Monster M900S. The mileage is at 570 miles, and it goes in for the 600 mile service this weekend. Also, it is still on regular dino oil, 20W50, and is not being ridden very hard at all.
Am I correct in assuming that there is something else at work here or is this a "common" thing?

anyhelp from you masters out there is most appreciated!!
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Don't panic. It's moisture in the engine. A good 45+ minute run will take care of that.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after I run it, will i need to crack the oil filler bolt at all?

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Usually you only get the milky residue from riding in the cold and not warming the engine up completely. Taking a long ride doesn't always make it go away, and even an oil change doesn't always clean it up completely.

However, my oil is always clear of milkiness after a few hundred miles of riding in August. Get it hot enough and it will go away.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how does it happen?
demo sitting in the back of a shop and they want to clear it out. guess the monsters aren't a big seller in conn.....
but i would gladly drive the 3 hours to danbury to pick it up again. for some reason, i cannot wipe the smile off my face.
especially after riding it.......

·
Registered
400 Posts
This might be a clue to the milky sight glass. We all agree that it's moisture on the sight glass, right? Last week I decided it was time to take the carbs off for a rebuild/rejet. This was after riding for an hour or so in 60+ degree weather. I let the bike cool down enough to work on it so I wouldn't get burned. When I took the hose off the crankcase breather valve quite a bit of water spilled over the engine. I noticed that it was rather moist inside the breather plumbing. Also, there is an oil mist surrounding the breather valve as well. This leads me to believe that the breather valve is faulty (I have an STM replacement) and that quite a bit of moisture condenses during cooldown within the breather plumbing (I have the K&N filter to go on top of the new breather valve). I've read here that replacing the breather valve and plumbing will eliminate the "milky sightglass" so that is what I'm doing. You might consider this mod after your 600 mile maintenance. :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike,
if you wouldn't mind, could you send me some more info on the replacement breather and the actual mod itself.
I am kinda flying blind until I get a new owners manual and service manual for the bike, so also, if you wouldn't mind, send a few pics my way, via email, about what we are exactly talking about.
thanks mike!

MonsterHooligan was right, this board rocks!

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Mike,
if you wouldn't mind, could you send me some more info on the replacement breather and the actual mod itself.

MonsterHooligan was right, this board rocks!
Here's the breather:

$23.99 at evoluzione.net (avail lots of other places too)
there are mixed opinions on this mod. some knowledgable sources claim that changing from the stock plumbing system loses a little horsepower, and the filter can bleed out oil.
I have it on both our bikes...I wanted to get rid of the ugly charcoal cannister, plus it looks cool ;D

another installation option is to put the filter at the end of the stock tube instead of directly on the breather. this allows any stray oil to drip back into the motor instead of out the filter as easily.

oh, and damn right it rocks. [smiley=cheeky.gif]

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Here's the breather:

$23.99 at evoluzione.net (avail lots of other places too)
there are mixed opinions on this mod. some knowledgable sources claim that changing from the stock plumbing system loses a little horsepower, and the filter can bleed out oil.
I have it on both our bikes...I wanted to get rid of the ugly charcoal cannister, plus it looks cool

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I ordered that breather kit and received it 5 days later. Which is really impressive....from California to Norway in five days!!!! Looks really neat and those plugs are for the airfilter box yes...hehe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts