Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im doing an oil change for the first time. everything was going well, and I was following the FAQ oil change thread to a T when I removed the 21mm nut over the oil screen. The FAQ said that the 14mm allen type cover required the 14mm allen to remove the inner, but didn't say this was required for the inner on the bikes with the 21mm socket outer. It looks like the screen on my bike (2003 620M) needs an allen to get it out(which I dont have as I got the tools together that the FAQ seemed to suggest I needed. The inner looks to be about 14mm in size. Is this correct? I knew this was going to be a pain...I have a feeling it's going to be hard to find a 14mm allen.

also, i removed the smaller bolt that has the oil pressure connection on it. does anyone know what te torque spec should be on that when i put it back on? do i have to install it with some sort of locktite substance. I ask because when i took it off there was a bit of dried reddish stuff around the threads. I only took it off because the 21mm oil screen outer cover was hard to budge and I thought I might be removing the wrong nut. sorry for all the questions, I just want to get it done right. thanks.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! I actually jsut came back from getting that. Yeah, I think maybe the wording should be corrected in the oil change FAQ to show that some bikes (like my '03) need the 21mm socket AND 14mm allen just so people who have limited time can get things together beforehand. I know it's hard to get it all down for all years and models though.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so yeah....I only tightened the bolt that goes into the 21mm oil screen cover(housing the oil temp connection?) to about 20ft lbs, and it broke off with half of it inside the screen cover. I feel dumb. I hope this doesnt cost too much to replace :'(
anyone know where I can price this online before I call the dealer?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Pretty sure that's a dealer item only.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah. I'll just call up tomorrow. I got the connector piece that broke off out of the oil screen cover so hopefully i can just order the smaller connector. I can now see that it seems to be made just to be screwed in lightly and sealed at the end. sigh

what should I call that thingy when I ask for a price over the phone tomorrow? is it, indeed, for oil temp? again, it's the little piece that screws into the oil screen cover with the provision for the oil temp(?) wire to connect to it.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
It is the oil temp sender. When you put the new one in use teflon tape on the threads and tighten snug. There is no pressure there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts