Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

on my 2000 M400 the oil pressure warning light has come on and is behaving erratically. It came on after she was left out in the rain at work (water/electrical issue maybe?)
A check of the oil levels showed normal, sitting bang on max.
I've cleaned the oil pressure cable and removed/inspected the sensor, but nothing seems amiss to my untrained eye. I'm left with the following theories and would like to know if this is a common problem and any advice you might have:
not enough oil
Pressure sensor blocked/faulty
Oil pump faulty

Pete

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The necessary warning is stated first:

Any time a low oil pressure light comes on the pressure should be checked with a mechanical gauge.. Now that we did that your problem is probably a ground created by moisture in the connector at the sensor. Drying it out with a hair drier or compressed air and packing the connector with dielectric grease will probably solve the issue.

·
Banned
4 Posts
I had the same problem w/ my 620 . I was touring under the heavy rain then suddenly the oil warning light came on . It was on all the time when heavy pouring but after that it stop. Got home, clean the bike then after that the ligt came on again. Dry it the engine and cabling the light is off. So I come to conclusion somehow the water get into the sensor electrical cable :-[.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I replaced my 98 version with the newer type - haven't had a problem since; and I ride in ALL weather.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
just a suggestion, after you've dried the connections out and applied the dieletric grease, it's not a bad idea to get some friction tape or rubber electrical tape (not regular electrical tape) and wrap the top of the connector up to further protect from water...

you can see what I've done here, ignore the aluminum spacer, that was a fix from a minor mistake that I made :-X

I took a small piece of small hose and placed that over the wire and wrapped it in rubber electrical tape, then placed some tape around the connector/sensor mating line to get as good a water tight seal as i could (this part not shown in the pic).

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Have some problems with my M600. The Oil pressure light came up, and the rookie i am, i thought it was the oil. after changing the oil, the lamp stil lights up. I recently found out that it was the oil pressure not the volume. So what should i do? Ive spoken with the Monster God Michael Moore, and he thinks maybe the oil pressure sender is the problem.

Then i saw what hiero postet. He has a oil gauge on his monster. Embarrassed to ask, but is that any help, and how does it work? Is it just to replace it with the cork? And where is the best place to buy one of those?

duke - the monster rookie

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
That gauge you are looking at is an oil temperature gauge. You want to, uh let me just quote myself.
howie said:
The necessary warning is stated first:

Any time a low oil pressure light comes on the pressure should be checked with a mechanical gauge.. Now that we did that your problem is probably a ground created by moisture in the connector at the sensor. Drying it out with a hair drier or compressed air and packing the connector with dielectric grease will probably solve the issue.
If dampness is not the issue ignore that part.

·
Registered
178 Posts
duke600dark said:
Have some problems with my M600. The Oil pressure light came up, and the rookie i am, i thought it was the oil. after changing the oil, the lamp stil lights up. I recently found out that it was the oil pressure not the volume. So what should i do? Ive spoken with the Monster God Michael Moore, and he thinks maybe the oil pressure sender is the problem.

Then i saw what hiero postet. He has a oil gauge on his monster. Embarrassed to ask, but is that any help, and how does it work? Is it just to replace it with the cork? And where is the best place to buy one of those?

duke - the monster rookie
It's not a pressure or level gauge, it's a thermometer. No help at all for your problem.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Although I recommend making an inexpensive mechanical gauge to keep in the tool box and check the pressure both cold and hot about every three thousand miles in conjunction with other routie maintenance checks, there is a quick and dirty method to at least confirm there is some oil pressure...

And it is dirty, so have a roll of paper towels handy. Remove the sender and then screw it back in halfway (remove it to know how long the threaded portion is to determine halfway). Crank the motor up without revving it. If the oil pump is putting out, the cold idle pressure should send oil leaking all around the threads. Don't rev it because the pressure will go sky high and leak a big mess, or possibly blow the sender right out of the threads.

If it passes this first test, still make or find a pressure gauge to screw in place of the sender and confirm the actual pressure.

Mine looks like this, made from a pool supply gauge and a couple of adapter fittings.....

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Is is just dimly on or is it brite red? If it's just dimly lit, clean your master ground and your battery terminals and I bet it goes off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.