Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I parked my bike in my work parking lot this morning I noticed a nasty burning oil smell. I of course related it the Harley parked next to me but then realized it was my 2001 M750. There was a puddle of fresh oil near the crankcase breather. I have an aftermarket K&N breather. I thought at first that it was leaking out of the case - but that just does not make sense so it must be coming out of the breather. I did have a couple of hard accelerations this morning. Anyone else noticed this??

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You have a k&n filter on the stock breather?

I have a k&n on a nichols breather, but haven't had that problem. I've heard of oil spray pushed out through the filter... but a puddle? Is it coming out through the filter or at the base of the breather? If you replaced the oem breather did you use a crush washer?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
duc.rob's sig line shows his bike as an '01 750........

Apparently the problem is more common on the water cooled bikes, but some folks have had the air-coolers leak too.
My '02 S4 has the leaking vertical cylinder base gasket. Oil collects between the little ribs in the top of the tranny case.
I mop it up with paper towels after each ride.

Try thoroughly cleaning up the whole area there, and go for a short ride. You should be able to isolate the leak that way.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
didn't see the sig. line. my bike is also an '01 750 and had a vertical cylinder base gasket leak, fixed under warranty. a little talcum powder on the suspected area after cleaning can help isolate the leak.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Sure, could be a base gasket, but don't panic yet.

Significant oil should not come out of the filter; mist, sure, but not puddles.

Unless..... the breather valve isn't working. It's a one-way valve and the stock ones are known to fail. Repalcements from Nichols are highly regarded. There are a number of other choices as well.

So look at the base gasket, but consider the breather valve as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks to be leaking from the base of the cylinder. My waranty expired in Feburary. Looks like I have to pull the engine to fix it. Only 6000 miles!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts