Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After numerous trouble shooting, I've found that the reason my M900ie doesn't start is because I fouled the plugs trying to start it back when it was colder. Stupid mistake but should be an easy fix. Both plugs had massive carbon fouling and smelled rich as can be.

I'm worried though because one of the plugs that I pulled had some oil on it. I guess that could be a valve seal or something. Should I be seriously concerned about this or can I replace the plugs and ride again without destroying anything?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Been doing some research and a possible cause of this is valve clearance. I've only had the bike for about 5 months and I know about Ducati valves but the service was done about 3000 miles ago. I guess I could check that. Messing with that seems pretty intimidating to me though.

I've also read some about rings being shot. I'm praying that this is not the case.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced the plugs and she fired right up beautifully. I guess I should keep the oil concern in the back of my mind. I'll probably take the bike somewhere in the spring for valve clearance adjustment and have them check the seals.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
worn guides was an issue on older ducs...you should be fine
my 93 900SS was one that was supposed to have soft guides.
it has well over 60k with the owner now. probably due for a rebuild but still trucking along

1 - 6 of 6 Posts