Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first Ducati, 1999 M900. It has a valve on the oil line connecting to the radiator on the right hand side of the bike. One line from the valve seems to go to the carbs. Can anyone please explain the purpose of this valve and when it should be used? Thanks :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
The oil line to the carbs is for carb heating in cold weather to prevent carb icing and in warmer weather turn the valve to the oil cooler.

Jack

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool :) Thanks Jack.

Do you know if it diverts all the oil flow through the carbs or just a small portion of the oil with the main flow still going to the cooler?

Would there be any problem with having it divert through the carbs all the time?

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Do not have oil going to the carbs in warm or hot weather the carbs can vapor lock and the engine stall's, I have had my bike vapor lock in hot weather traffic with the oil going to the oil cooler,remember the engine is air and oil cooled.
The valve set the oil to the carbs or oil cooler.
What part of the world are you in mikem900.

Jack

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Jack, I'll keep that in mind, only flick the valve in the cold winter mornings like the ones we're having now brrrr...

I'm in the land of the long white cloud... New Zealand. We don't get winter here :D Well not in the north of NZ like the south island. But when there's no cloud during the night then in winter the temp plummets to low single digits. That's not cold in the big scheme of things but when you're used to high temp then IT'S COLD, and there's ice on the car windshield to prove it :D

Cheers
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts