Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I checked the oil before I took off. About 1 hour into the ride temp was 220 and I really nailed it. The oil light came on for 2 seconds and went away. Any ideas?

S

·
0 Posts
I had this same problem on my 2000 M750. I have also seen this problem on a 2001 996. On both bikes I changed the oil and filter the problem went away.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Happens to me periodically as well - when I really open it up suddenly. I haven't worried about it since it occurs very infrequently and the oil level fine..

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as the oil level is OK.

It remind me of my old MGB I used to drive.. on hard-right hand turns, the oil would travel to the left side of the sump (didn't have a baffled oil pan... too cheap!) and I could hear the valves making really nasty sounds... It did that to me about 5 times or so...

H

·
0 Posts
Shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as the oil level is OK.

It remind me of my old MGB I used to drive.. on hard-right hand turns, the oil would travel to the left side of the sump (didn't have a baffled oil pan... too cheap!) and I could hear the valves making really nasty sounds... It did that to me about 5 times or so...
Yeah, then it seized...

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Yeah, then it seized...

nah.. actually the little bastard had to be wrecked to make it stop running..! That car was a trooper! sure, it would blow a head gasket once a year, but I had the gasket swap down to 2 hours.. so it was no big deal.. just always carry spares..I still have a gasket set laying around somewhere!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided to get the oil changed. Couldnt hurt.. While that is getting done they are also throwing on a 14 tooth schprocket.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I decided to get the oil changed. Couldnt hurt.. While that is getting done they are also throwing on a 14 tooth schprocket.
You trying to make the light stay on for 4 seconds instead of 2?
;D
mitt

·
Registered
434 Posts
On older Ducs it's not a problem as all the bearings are ball bearings. Short term starvation of oil is not a problem. On the newer ones with plain camshaft bearings this would be a more serious problem.

M

1 - 11 of 11 Posts