Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Biketoberfest woes...while riding started getting smoke/odor from something burning on exhaust.
Stopped and could visibly see that oil had been spraying (from wind velocity I'm sure) and covering bike from the vertical cylinder back.
Oil was visible running down side stand on left side and pooling, but appears it is resdidual after shutdown as it did stop and observing oil site level was still practicaly full.

Wiped down and let cool down (no oil on ground so I know this problem is when the eng is running), cranked engine and again oil is leaking somewhere rear vertical cylinder area and is actually visible dripping from the exhaust connection on the vertical cylinder, but I cant see where it's coming from. Again after shut down oil pooled around sidestand, but was also visible on the right side (appeared to flow around the side cover and down underneath the crankcase and drip onto floor, just not in the amount that pooled around the sidestand). Again after awhile it stops and the pooled oil can be wiped up and no more oil can be seen leaking.
Any ideas fellow posters?

It seems if it was at the base of the cylinder it would be easily seen and if so why am I seeing oil higher up on the vertical cylinder.
Could the pressure be spraying/misting it from somewhere I'm obviously not seeing...or for the more experienced in this sorta leak, is this a common problem easily diagnosed and what is it?

All insight much appreciated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me add, the bike was running great when this started, ran fine and shifted properly on way back to my garage after i noticed this problem,recent oil change (less then 1k ago) and even while running it twice to check for leaks the engine sounds great and idles properly while I'm looking for source of leak.

But when I went to move the bike in the garage this morning (I always leave it in 1st gear while parked), I engaged the clutch to push the bike and it wouldn't work. I could still shift the bike into neutral and move the bike...but with it in gear, pulling in the clutch you can't roll the bike.

Is this associated with the leak somehow.

Like I said I rode the bike home and had no problems with clutch/shift at all when I first notice I had some kinda leak, nor while checking out leak and moving the bike around in the garage for a couple days. Maybe I didn't realize that I wasn't able to keep it in gear and depress clutch and roll bike as I was obviously shifting it into nuetral and then running the bike to check for leaks.

But again this morning I pulled in the clutch to roll the bike and no cigar...what do ya'll think is this related to the problem of the oil/fluid leak I have?

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Normally I would say it is the base gasket (common problem), but you mentioned there was oil around the exhaust port. Could it be the breather? Or maybe valve cover/head gasket?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's the clutch slave where would you see the oil/fluid at, would it be in the areas I described. I can see it running down the sidestand and pooling there, but when running why am I seeing fluid dripping from the exhaust connection comming from the vert cylinder condsidering where the clutch slave is located in regard to that?
With so many ways for the leaked fluid to run it's hard to tell. but I will say I pulled the chain sprocket cover and it was sludgy there...and I just tensioned, cleaned and waxed the chain approx 1 month ago and it's never looked like that.
Which is why I'm wondering where you can expect the fluid from say the clutch slave to be noticable at...like why can I see fluid dripping from the rear exhaust connection on the vertical cylinder.

If it's the breather I can't tell and if it is, same question about why is it real noticable around the exhaust connection. I guess the way the hoses are run it's right in the area, but would a bad breather valve spew oil?
The valve cover right there would be my 1st choice but as visible as it is it sure dosen't appear to be leaking from there, the fluid really starts to show itself right in the area of the exhaust connection and drips of oil are very noticable.

Thanx for the imput, looking for more help...I really don't think it's leaking at the base of the vert cylinder at this point though...since clutch isn't working now the clutch slave seems possible, one thing I didn't have time to do is check the clutch fluid level this morning as I was leaving for the office...if it's empty bingo.

So a bad clutch slave can make that much of a mess and mist all over the place when the eng is running?

Wonder why I can't see it spraying from the clutch slave, if the slave is bad is the fluid able to spray from somewhere else in that system?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
without seeing the bike, no way of telling. not much fluid will come out of the slave. there is a seal behind that sprocket that could be leaking. when the bike is in motion, oil will be blown all over the place.

my best suggestion is clean the area real well. then powder suspected areas. spray foot powder will work. then ride the bike. the powder will absorb the oil and, hopefuly, give you a better idea where the leak is.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Sounds like you have two problems:

A) It seems like you have a bad clutch slave cylinder, if you can't push the bike with it in gear and clutch lever pulled. Especially if you could do that before, but not now.
Some of the leaking oil may have gotten on your (formerly) dry clutch, gotten baked, and is sticking the plates together. Or, if your basket is really worn, the plates may be hanging up in the grooves and it won't release with the engine off.

B) Sounds like a leaking O-ring at the head/cylinder interface. I've got the leaking base gasket, and the oil is happy to pool up on the top of the tranny, and run down either side of the engine, but it doesn't migrate up the cylinder. There is an oil gallery that comes up to the base gasket surface, then on (some?) air-coolers it goes through the cylinder and up into the head.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like we're getting somewhere Speeddog, thanx bro.
You know how to change that o-ring? Do I need that special tool for the vert cylinder bolt nuts? Any idea on shop repair cost for something like that?

I knew it probably wouldn't be 1 simple thing, the slave would be easy, but I just couldn't see how the fluid could migrate up to where I saw it dripping.

Any other imput/ideas on this my fellow Ducati bros?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi
To find out if it is leaking from the slave :taste it !!brake fluid have a very special taste. Just take very little of the leaking fluid on a finger and put it on your tounge compare with some other brake fluid. Please dont drink it, I think it is toxic.[smiley=dead.gif]

DVC Keld

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
hammer,

Sorry we didn't get to hook up at Daytona and also about your oil leak.

Have you had a chance to put a wrench to all the cyclinder studs to check for any broken ones? I don't know if its possible, but maybe that could end up leaking at the head seal as well as the base gasket?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah mark I tried to get ahold of ya, but like you when I'm riding I can't hear my cell and for some reason my call ID was not working the whole event and all that registered was "missed call".

The leak presented itself late saturday, so on a whole I got alot of ride time in for biketoberfest, just sorry we didn't hookup. There will be other rides though bro!

I've got it isolated down to the vert cylinder (spent more time last night LQQKing), worse case senario is the o-rings (wrenched all bolts and they're tight), but it could still be a few easy things where oil can leak on the vert cylinder that wouldn't require pulling it.

Going to inject a dye into the oil and check for exact source of leak under bluelight.

I'm betting o-rings at this point, but I may get off without having to pull the vert cylinder if I'm lucky.

Thanx for all (especially speeddog, I think you nailed it bro) input except the lick the DOT 3 response.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts