Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was warming my bike up Sunday for a ride and noticed oil dripping from the oil filter. I reached down and was able to spin the filter free with no effort :eek:

It's time to sit down one afternoon and check the torque on all the bolts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the same problem. I have an older bike + I had to park it on the patio for a couple of days so I freaked at first. I had to fit both vehicles in the garage during the Artic Blast.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Jones said:
I was warming my bike up Sunday for a ride and noticed oil dripping from the oil filter. I reached down and was able to spin the filter free with no effort :eek:

When we all had lunch at Champps weren't you telling me about that same thing happening to you last year right before a track day?? Am I dreaming in colors or is that right?

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I don't know if I like your tone!! [laugh] Well if it wasn't you then it was someone else?? I may be old and forgetful but I swear someone had that same loose filter problem right before a TD.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
fastwin said:
I don't know if I like your tone!! [laugh] Well if it wasn't you then it was someone else?? I may be old and forgetful but I swear someone had that same loose filter problem right before a TD.
I think that was Haywyre.

Swanny

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
[laugh] Y'all are completely out of control... Thanks for the giggle [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
swanny said:
I think that was Haywyre.

Swanny
You know I think you're right! See, I told you guys I wasn't crazy, I knew it was "someone"! And about those colorful dreams.... ahhh, the 70s man, like wow!! ;D

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Jones said:

You know, my Monster did that also a few months back (must have been August or something). Damnedest thing ever... Tightened it back down with a filter wrench and that was that. Can't imagine...

I've also had license plate screws become finger-tight. Guess it'd be hard to be cool driving down the road and your license plate fall off ???

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
hey folks, been away for a few days, but in any case, the filter thing is pretty common and all it takes is a bit more of a twist on the filter when tightening. Most point towards an uneven or slightly (read: very slight) uneven mating surface at the surface of the mount.

when you go to install a new filter, give it an extra 1/4-1/2 turn or so then you normally would

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
fastwin said:
See, I told you guys I wasn't crazy
You keep saying that, but I'm not sure we quite believe you [laugh]

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Speaking of Lisa's loose license plate bolts, I've had two plates swiped off my bike over the years, probably just out of delinquent meanness. So, to show 'em who's boss I now pop rivet my plate and inspect. sticker plate to the bike. They're not going anywhere now! Who you calling crazy buster!! ;D

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
n2f said:
You know, my Monster did that also a few months back (must have been August or something). Damnedest thing ever... Tightened it back down with a filter wrench and that was that. Can't imagine...

I've also had license plate screws become finger-tight. Guess it'd be hard to be cool driving down the road and your license plate fall off ???
N2F
Lisa, et al, re the license plate plate thing.
Couple years ago my son was on the back of my Commando as we're on the service road north to Justin Road/407. He tells me "Dad, your license plate just fell off"
I tell him there is no way you could know that! - noise - vibration - and all, but he was right!
As the service road is north only, I have to back track and find - my 71 motorcycle plate I bought on ebay, my antique tag, my license plate frame (Ride a Classic, Ride a Norton)..and misc nuts and bolts..
Got it all back though!
Other times I've lost (but recovered) my kick start pedal - (Garland)
(not recovered) the linkage for my rear drum brakes (I-35 E North) which I now have proudly made out of strap aluminum and threaded rod. (..and that was fun that night, dragging my brake lever on the freeway, waiting for it to lever me up and high side me)
Nuff said? Torque them suckers, Lock Tite em, and then safety wire'em !!!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Yeah it was right after that license plate scare that I discovered blue locktite... Got that stuff all over the 'bikes now [laugh]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts