Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd start a new thread, being that leaking oil didnt have to do with starting up after all.

So, I cleaned off the underside as suggested, and I've located the source of the leak. There is a drip-puddle right under the oil collecting in the pics. Right there at the drip point, in case it's not visible the gasket is coming apart

Is this a do-it-yourselfer? I have experience with mechanics, but not with bikes. What tools would be required?

Do you think that it'll be relatively cheap to fix at the 20K service I'll be getting soon, since theyre already doing other things?

I wonder if I could patch it up with JB Weld...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
A left case gasket swap should be no big deal for anyone who's mechanically inclined, just make sure you put everything back inside the way it came out. Really not too big a deal.

Justin

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
That is not the gasket coming apart that is the excess silicone sealant that squeezed out when it was assembled the last time. Has this case been off before? Maybe the last person did not do such a hot job of preparing the surfaces... or over torqued/unevenly torqued the screws...

This is an easy job you could do yourself. Just pull the case, clean off the old silicone from both surfaces with a hard plastic scraper. Carefully wipe surfaces down with some brake cleaner (spray it on the rag, not the cases) apply new sealant, slap it back together. Only problem might be if there is a bad spot in the sealing surfaces due to a previous opening or factory defect...

The only special tool you will need is a puller to pull the case via the two small holes on the cap over the bearing in the alternator cover. I made a simple one out of a chunk of 1/2 aluminum, but I think some guys use a steering wheel puller.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts