Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My M1000s has a small oil leak on the horizontal cylinder's head. The bike has only 1200 miles on it. Any ideas? Is this usual? Can I just tighten something. My experience with engines is almost nul, :-/ although I get the basics. Looking to change that with you guy's help. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Hi Duque,

Sorry to hear about your leak!! I'm pretty sure you'll need to talk to your dealer about that. There isn't much up there that's supposed to leak. :-/ May sound smart-alek-y, but unless it's a valve cover, your baby is going t oget some attention from a mechanic.

Heh, that reminds me... I used to always say of our Ducatis that they miss me fondling them, so they break down or need some attention every now and then. ;)

Good luck,
Chris
:)

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
If the leak is from the top (or front) it can be something simple like the inspection cover. If it is leaking from the base it probably means that the heads were not properly retorqued or even checked at the first service. Checking the torque now is not going to stop the leak if it is at the base.
Either way go back to the dealer.
Good luck.
GT

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
You're not being clear on precicely where the oil is coming from (maybe 'cause you're not familiar enough with all the parts)

My 900 developed a modest leak between the head and cylinder barrel at about 10,000 mi. I got a head socket and retourqued it knowing it was a long shot. It did slow the seepage down to the point that I was comfortable riding it 'till my 12k service. He!!, I could have kept riding it. Just it was ugly looking. Never a drop of oil on the garage floor, just dirty cylinder barrel.

Anyway, had head pulled at the shop and turns out I had a freeze plug that wasn't well sealed. Repair involved removing the cylinder barrel, pulling a couple of plugs ("while we're at it") and installing new ones. Slather some kind of adhesive on and hammer in with a drift.

All of this is doable at home with the proper tools (including a piston ring compressor and four hands when re-installing the barrel), but my guess is you're not up to it yet.

See your friendly neighborhood Ducati dealer.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took the bike to the dealer. The mechanic cleaned of the "leak" and let the engnine run for a while. Result: no leak. It seems it was just some residue of either the 600 mile service or the factory. Hope that' sit. Thanks for everybody's responses.

This is where the "leak" was. It seamed to come from the cover that hold the cooler.
Sorry about my engine vocabulary. Any books you guys recommend for me to read. I want to be able to work on my bike.
Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts