Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

oil leak from filler plug

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Speeddog 
G
#1 ·
Hi everyone!
I'm new to the board. Wanted to say that I have been reading the message boards for the past few months and have gained very much valuable information from your posts.

I've had my m800 for about 7 months now. Already racked up over 7,000 miles. Proud to say that I have had zero problems as of yet (knock on wood). I can seriously say that I am addicted to my monster.

Ever since I have had the bike, the oil filler plug has been leaking ever so slightly. After a ride, I'll look down and notice a small trail leading from the filler to the bottom of the oil pan. Strange thing is that the filler plug is on as tight as I can get it.

It's noting major, but just enough to tick me off after I give her a good cleaning.
Just curious... Anyone experiencing similar problems?

Thanks,
Zeus

#5 ·
..........just wipe it with a rage ever now and again.
Well, I think it's just as effective to remain calm while wiping it... ;D

The O-ring may be damaged, but mine seemed fine and it did seep a little. Try cleaning the area where it threads into the sidecover, and clean the cap and O-ring.

#6 ·
I have the same problem. It is probably the o ring but I am too lazy to unscrew the cap to look at it. Hell- I dont even know if there IS an o ring in there. Its under warranty anyways- tell the dealer you want a new cap. :mad: this way you would have to rage on it. ;) sorry had to do it Andrew, I get made fun of way too much on here. hmmm... maybe its because I make smart ASS pokes at everyone else.... :-/

#7 ·
Yeah, the comments on the threads are off base.

The threads hold the cap in, but the o-ring (green on mine) is the oil seal. Unless the threads are so bunged that the cap can't put any pressure on the o-ring, they ain't the problem.

I HATE the stock cap. Lousy molded half-assed, only partially threaded, piece of ****! Ya. Billet is better.

But anyway, you should be able to find a replacement o-ring at any decent hardware store (there ARE some left, aren't there?)

#10 ·
Get a new plug or don't worry about...it's not gonna hurt anything.

But don't, DON'T, use teflon tape on it! You take a chance of that stuff shedding when you remove/replace the plug and dropping in your oil reservior and migrating elsewhere.
Could = unnecessary problems. There's a reason there isn't teflon tape on the plug to begin with.

#11 ·
I'd be careful of hardware store o-rings too. Most are intended for plumbing use and I have had a few swell and disintegrate when exposed to hot oil. the oem green ring might be nitrile or some other material that is oil and heat resistant.

#14 ·
Yeah, in liquid form it shouldn't hurt anything, except maybe a wet clutch.

Little bits of teflon tape could plug up a small oil passage, that would be bad........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.