Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Well, I would definitely take it to the shop while it can still run. You have a warranty.

I've had 2 oil leaks on my M1000. The first was serious. I had to take it in immediately. The other one is on going - a super slow leak. The bike's going to the shop tomorrow. Glad I didn't have riding plans this long weekend.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this would be a good weekend to take it in. rain for the next two days in atlanta. :(
my shop's kinda slow on service though, due to the volume of work they do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an oil leak, too, but on my 2002 M750D. I just bought this bike new on Labor Day of last year, it now has 4300+ miles on it. Yesterday while out riding, it leaked a big puddle of oil, about 4 in. in diameter. I had been riding about 60 miles, about 70-75 mph, a gradual climb from Phoenix to Payson, AZ. I parked the bike at a rest stop, and it leaked the oil.

This had happened once before, my mechanic looked at it once and said it had something to do with the breather tube, that it was fairly normal, and only something to worry about if it does it again. Well, it did it again, about three weeks later. (???) I am not mechanically inclined at all, so the only thing I know is that leaking oil is not a good thing. I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and what exactly the problem is/was?

I'm calling the dealership tomorrow, when it opens, and the problem should be under warranty, but it certainly is annoying. Here it is a long weekend, and I can't even ride. That's beside the point, but I have to get this figured out.

Ideas?? Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just got off the phone with my LDS. they wanted me to bring it in to have a look-see. my leak is definitely much smaller than yours sounds. . . i'm pretty mechanically inclined, but why fix it myself when it should be covered under warranty. :D

--rob

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same problem on my 01 m750, The "breather" problem is caused by overfillint the engine oil, my local bunch o' idiots at the dealership filles the crankcase til the level was correct in the glass, but did it with the bike on the side stand!! I complained they corrected it then repeated the performanct at the 600 mi maint. (Found new dealership for service). Check the oil level with the bike LEVEL no more that 2/3 of the sight glass cold will prevent oil from bubbling out the breather at higher temps. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts