Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This totally sucks. I took my 696 in for it's 600 miles service, mentioned an oil leak I spotted a week into ownership, and found out they're going to have to take the whole friggin' engine apart to fix the damn thing. I'm out my brand new bike for 2-4 weeks. I bought it mid-summer and was riding every day to get the most out of it before the rainy season comes here the Pacific Northwest. What crappy luck I have. The bike was overfilled with oil from the outset and I assumed it was oil blow-by as one of the drain tubes that sits lowest on the bike had a drop of oil hanging from it when I noticed it. It never left a "spot" of oil beneath it, but along the front side of the crankcase and along the side it appeared to be weeping. I hoped the oil was just coming from the tube and had been whipped around in the wind, but apparently that's not the case. The lead tech talked to the Ducati America and they're going to have to tear it down to diagnose the issue. The oil level never dropped below the view hole, so I knew it was not leaking enough to cause serious concern. I do wonder if being so full was caused the problem? After finding the leak I always checked the oil before riding and never found it to be even level with the top of the view port; the oil was always well over Max, covering the whole view port when level.

My shop is going to expedite the repair, but still expects a 2-4 week turnaround. I hate the idea of a brand new bike being torn down, the motor being disassembled, reassembled and then re-installed before I even put 620 miles on it. I don't have confidence that everything will be put together as well as the first time, even though the service advisor has more confidence in his tech than the "factory production line techs." What can you do? Any one ever had a similar issue? How'd it turn out?

Grieving the loss of my new toy....

MTBJAY

·
Registered
225 Posts
Many have had the 696 weep oil from the timing inspection plug on the left side.
Mine had the aluminum sealing washer galled by the ridge machined in the case. Looked like the sealing washer was too large to begin with and deformed on the ridge when originally torqued.

Mine also required a new cam, and valve cover o-ring on the horizontal cylinder.

All of these caused a stream of oil to be blown back and run along the top of the case and down the side of the motor toward the slave cylinder.

I fixed it myself after a "tech" tried to tell me that the oil was coming from the base of the vertical cylinder and the motor would need to be pulled to fix it.

Been oil tight ever since.

I would explore every other option before allowing them to tear down the motor.

An easy way to find the source is to dust a little baby powder in the suspect area and blow away the excess. It will stick to the oil trail and lead to the source.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick and experienced reply, Spencer. I only heard this today over the phone after dropping the bike off. I'm not a mechanic and feel pretty helpless here. I plan on going down tomorrow and having a look for myself and get the full scoop. I would like them to explain to me their plan of action and see if I might better understand the issue. I'll take some notes from your reply and mention it (hope you don't mind!). From your detailed description, it sounds like it could be the same issue, though the Service Advisor mentioned originally it could a be an issue with the "casting" of some part of the engine. I'll get more details and share them later....

MTBJAY

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

The dealership called and the bike, once cleaned, was dusted and test ridden several times but no additional oil leaks were discovered. Hopefully, it's just assembly grease + oil from the overfill drain. I'll keep a sharp eye out and update this thread if needed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oil Leak

I had a small leak on my bike on the left side which dribbled along the side of the engine as I rode. Only leaked under heavy load and high rpms.

It was the seal on the engine side cover. Was a bad bead from the factory. Tech took the side cover off, cleaned and re-applied new sealant. Has been perfect in the 4000 km since.

Jerry D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the bike bike, rode it home 35 miles. First 15, no sign of the leak. 20 more miles (hilly, twistys) and the leak is back. It's minor, but coming from the crank case - left side, forward most bolts (covered by black plastic) where the seam is. I took a 5mm to the bolts and got a little turn out of the two closest to the leak. I am hoping that might fix it.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I do wonder if being so full was caused the problem? After finding the leak I always checked the oil before riding and never found it to be even level with the top of the view port; the oil was always well over Max, covering the whole view port when level.

I don't think so that being full has caused the problem. Mine(M695) has been delivered pretty full. Even on sidestand...it's around 1/4 of the peep port already. At level, the engine oil covers the whole glass port(opposite to what the manual says that it should the most...sit in the middle of the viewing port). Never had problems with seeping oil riding at 138C during urban rides notwithstanding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts